Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

As a society, what are our obligations when it comes to the poor?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 183 Replies

Why are poor people poor? Are they lazy, are they uneducated? Are they disadvantaged through no fault of their own? Unlucky?

Is there a way out, not just for the exceptional few, but for all?

As a society, what are our obligations? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2017 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Jul. 14, 2017 at 8:19 AM
13 moms liked this
I'm not obligated to support any adult actually
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 8:20 AM
5 moms liked this
I think that depends entirely on the poor person

Some people are disadvantaged, some people have untreated illness, some people make poor life decisions, some people are just lazy

What is our obligation to them as a society? I'm not sure

I don't think poor people are entitled to help, I don't believe that we are really obligated to give things away, I do think that helping others is what makes your worthwhile person though

It's strange, on one hand I don't think that anybody is obligated to share what they have, on the other hand I kind of think it makes you a shitty person to have no desire to help those in need

SueWanda
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 8:20 AM
15 moms liked this
"The poor," much like "the disabled," allows people to take humanity away from an individual based on an undesirable, often unavoidable, situation or condition.

How about we don't let people starve to death. People. Not "the poor," but literally any human. We shouldn't let humans starve to death.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 8:20 AM
7 moms liked this
What would Jesus do?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 8:21 AM
7 moms liked this
Zero obligation. Though I do think people would be more charitable towards food pantries/drives if the ridiculous amount of food stamps given out were cut. That abuse and waste has gotten people angry and unwilling to help anymore.
mmm2015
by Eldouchedegrande on Jul. 14, 2017 at 8:23 AM
17 moms liked this
We have an obligation to educate motivate and subsidize until such time they become self sustaining. However the US has taken the mollycoddle approach. We need to make education and jobs requirements of assistance.

If we educate someone for 3 years and subsidize them for 2 more while they work and build a financial income base we are teaching a man to fish. Not just handing them fish sticks.
hburnette3
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 8:33 AM
3 moms liked this
Every person has the same opportunity starting at the age of 5 until they are 18 (21 if they fail a few grades). If they choose not to accept this opportunity should we continue to take care of them as adults?
There is no answer.

While I agree with what I said I don't want to see people starve to death and not get medical care but that maybe that's what it takes for people to want to do better.
hburnette3
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 8:36 AM
Another question:

If the government stopped doing anything for the poor do you think the community. Would step up for those in need?
GaleJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 8:39 AM
6 moms liked this
I hope, given the total lack of empathy and generosity displayed in so many of these responces, that none of you ever end up "needing" help because it doesn't seem there will be much help available. People must deal with so much, from poor health, inadequate schooling, bad choices, bad luck...whatever and they often cannot get past whatever it is that holds them back. They should not have to beg and we, as a society, should provide them with real help to get them to a better place.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 8:41 AM
Quote the person you're speaking to otherwise stfu

And it's responses

Quoting GaleJ: I hope, given the total lack of empathy and generosity displayed in so many of these responces, that none of you ever end up "needing" help because it doesn't seem there will be much help available. People must deal with so much, from poor health, inadequate schooling, bad choices, bad luck...whatever and they often cannot get past whatever it is that holds them back. They should not have to beg and we, as a society, should provide them with real help to get them to a better place.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)