Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My house my rules!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 144 Replies
I work over night and my husband works in the day. I do 90% of the errands , cleaning , cooking. So I try to nap in between all that and spending time with the kids .
Well I was talking to my sister and she said I should have the kids clean the house (11,9,5) i told her no. Their job is to clean their room and clean up their mess outside their bed room. They are kids and it's my job to do what I have to. I told her just because you have all the time in the world to do what you have to and still sleep till noon (She doesn't work )She got all snappy and got an attitude. She said it wouldn't fly in her house.

I fell that for my family kids should be kids. They don't need to be worrying about house chores. Yes they know how to wash dishes, clean the bathroom. Pretty much the basic cleaning. They help me once in a while.

Am I the only one like this ??
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:25 AM
8 moms liked this

Well, I think your husband should do half the housework.

lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:27 AM
5 moms liked this
Sorry, I have my kids help with household chores. They need to learn these skills and it will also help them to not feel entitled to have someone else do everything for them. They still have PLENTY of time to play and just be kids.
EvasMommy326
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:27 AM
Different Strokes for Different Folks I guess.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:28 AM

We all contribute to the household and we expect everyone to pitch in. My kids help out cleaning, so does DH. We are a team and function as such. 

I work nights. There is no way I could function at work and still do all the errands, cleaning and time with kids. 

Sailor.Moon.Mom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Do whatever works and pay no attention to your sister. My kids are in charge of certain things in the house and they are young at almost 2 and 5 1/2. I'm a sahm and Df works. We still share 50/50 of the household chores. But that's what works for us.

No right or wrong unless it's not working and theirs conflict over it.
SweetPea2004
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:30 AM
Dd 12 has very specific chores that are hers, she is apart of the household.
Maevelyn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:30 AM
I'm of two minds. They kind of need the experience of keeping up with cleaning. You don't really know why you have to scrub a bathroom weekly until you don't do it. My 11 and 12 year old clean their bathroom and are learning to cook. On my Fridays we all dust, vacuum type clean together. My 4 year old has taken over walking and feeding the dog. Obviously I'm with her for that the entire time. Its not easier in my experience to have kids clean things.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

i kinda feel the same....i have my kids help out sometimes but it's not a daily thing. i used to have to do too many chores growing up and had a lot of responsibility on all levels so i try to make my kids just be kids but i also think having them do chores is good to teach responsibility and teach them how to earn money for allowance. i am just not as strict with it as some people are.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
They know how to. Its not expected of them. There's a difference

Quoting lovinmyboys...: Sorry, I have my kids help with household chores. They need to learn these skills and it will also help them to not feel entitled to have someone else do everything for them. They still have PLENTY of time to play and just be kids.
luckythreemom
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Your kids should have a few things outside of picking up after themselves as chores. That is how you teach them to be productive memebers of society
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)