Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids sports

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

Just curious what other people's experiences have been.  Both of my sons are in basketball and soccer.  It's incredibly competitive where I live.  Everyone starts sending their kids to sports camps early on and they hire people to give private lessons.  I was a little late to the game so I didn't realize how competitive it was at first.  It was an adjustment for me.  I started my kids at ages 7 and 9.  They are now 8 and 10.    It was different when I grew up....sports were much more casual.  No one went to camps or did lessons.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2017 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't participate in team sports.My girls are involved in Martial Arts and unless they want to do tournaments it is not competitive at all.  Neither of mine are involved in tournaments as they have no interest. They happy just competing against themselves and just enjoying their chosen sport. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:03 AM
Mine go to soccer and baseball camp.
katcb1019
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:05 AM
Some are like that around here but Im not. I just want my kids to have fun. They play what they want. If they wanted to do a camp Id allow it. They havent asked to though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM
Glad it is not like that here. We live in a very rural area. Both my kids play soccer. They are 12 and 13.5. They don't even keep score, at least for the U10 team. It is so rural that kids drive 35 min from another city to play and 13-18 year olds are on the same teams. 4 teams in each age group.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM
Here, everybody thinks their kid is better than everyone else's. Even at 5 years old. It's mostly the dads. The teams are stacked even in t ball. It's sad for sure.
hip2it
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM
Only with dd11 have I gone above and beyond. She plays volleyball on a team but wants to try out for the middle school team next year. Unfortunately she can't serve overhanded or do a few required things, so she plays on the team and has a private coach.

Ds8 has gone to sports camps for fun but not because we wanted him to improve. More just to keep him busy. My younger two are too young (3 and 1) and my oldest has never needed help with anything. School or sports, he just needs to show up and he will do well. Drives the others crazy.
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM
We have a variety. There are leagues that are purely recreational, and leagues that are competitive.
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM
My son started playing soccer last year when he was 6 and will play this fall with the 7 & 8 yr olds. When I was younger it wasn't as competitive. I didn't play soccer until high school and started gymnastics when I was around 9 yrs old.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:11 AM

I'm really not either but it's crazy competitive here.  It's almost sort of stressful.  

Quoting katcb1019: Some are like that around here but Im not. I just want my kids to have fun. They play what they want. If they wanted to do a camp Id allow it. They havent asked to though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:11 AM

We have both recreational and competitive teams.  The kids only play recreational soccer.  It isn't at all competitive in the younger age groups.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)