Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Neighbor problems... HELP! Update

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:51 AM
  • 106 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I have ice cream trucks (for anyone who doesn't know lol) and we recently moved from the middle of nowhere to a neighborhood. The neighbors across the street seem nice, we all smile & wave, but they don't speak English and I don't speak Spanish so here is my problem. On Monday, I was in our shop moving ice cream & waiting for an order & the lady brought the kids over to buy ice cream which was fine since I was in there working anyway. On Tuesday, I had a huge event so I was not in the truck with regular stock, I was in the other truck with only the six items the company had purchased & the shop was already locked up. The lady brought the kids up to the truck as I was trying to leave & I was trying to explain which didn't go well so I just said I would be back at 3 o'clock & hoped that she understood but I don't think she did. Yesterday morning, someone rang the doorbell & about five minutes later I poked my head out to see if it was packages I was waiting on but here's the lady & kids standing in the yard wanting to buy ice cream. I was in my nightgown & slippers & not even about to go out & open the shop & crap so I got my phone & typed in google translater & tried to explain about the other day & also that I would be outside in an hour when I was dressed. They never came over when I opened the shop & I was around for a couple of hours before I left for work so now I don't know if they think I'm an asshole or what and I'm really not trying to be but damn, I don't always have time to drop what I'm doing & I really don't want them ringing my doorbell all the time because I tend to nap in the afternoons on my days off. So if you've made it this far, would it be rude of me to type in the translater that the kids can only come over when the shop doors are open & I'm out there? Anybody have a better way to word that?

ETA I'm going to make a sign to put by my doorbell. Thanks everyone!

7/21 update
I posted this sign on Tuesday & and it's worked perfectly. Nobody has come to my door since then & when I was in the shop with the doors open this morning getting my truck ready to go, the neighbor & her children came to buy ice cream. I think everyone is happy. (:
by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3JuJu3
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:54 AM
The translator is a good idea. I'd also give her some free ice cream for the kids to show that your intentions are friendly.
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:55 AM
9 moms liked this
While that sounds like a nice idea, I'm definitely not doing that. Once I do that, they'll be looking for free ice cream all the time.

Quoting 3JuJu3: The translator is a good idea. I'd also give her some free ice cream for the kids to show that your intentions are friendly.
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:55 AM
3 moms liked this
I'd write a letter using Google translate explaining to the mother how your business works.
happinessforyou
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Usually the kids speak english for the parents. Are they too young? Do you know anyone that can help translate? I think you are trying really hard to be a nice neighbor. Good for you!  :)

P.S. Awesome business :)

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:56 AM
Do you think there's a nice way to say don't ring my doorbell for ice cream? Lol

Quoting Elyce225: I'd write a letter using Google translate explaining to the mother how your business works.
KenneMaw
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:57 AM
5 moms liked this

Maybe get a sign that has both English and Spanish on it with your business hours?     Hopefully, thent hey will understand when ice cream is available and that isn't available on demand.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:58 AM
3 moms liked this

A sign on the truck saying Open/abierto and the other side saying closed/cerrar. Put one on your front door as well.

LilysMama719
by Emmy on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I would do the Google translation and ignore them any other time. It's pretty rude of them to ring your doorbell like that.
3JuJu3
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:58 AM
Then write in the translator that here's some free ice cream and we look forward to your business in the future. They sound like they'd be regular customers and it would be a neighborly thing to do. I under if you can't afford it, but it seems like a small gesture. Either way, I'm sure just using a translator will help clear up the confusion.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: While that sounds like a nice idea, I'm definitely not doing that. Once I do that, they'll be looking for free ice cream all the time.

Quoting 3JuJu3: The translator is a good idea. I'd also give her some free ice cream for the kids to show that your intentions are friendly.
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
That's what surprised me! Usually the older kids do speak English but the girl looks about seven I guess & when I tried to tell her something to tell her mother, she definitely didn't understand. She may be younger than I think & not in school yet.
Thanks!

Quoting happinessforyou:

Usually the kids speak english for the parents. Are they too young? Do you know anyone that can help translate? I think you are trying really hard to be a nice neighbor. Good for you!  :)

P.S. Awesome business :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)