Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't ever ask to borrow money again.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
We've loaned/given my SIL and her family money several times. We make a lot more than them do when they've been in some tight spots we didn't hesitate to help out.

Thy just came to visit and I got to see first hand how they manage money. I am totally shocked and now realize they don't have emergency savings because of much money they waste.

Multiple tips to the store all day. Snacks are from fast food or convince stores. When we ate out they ordered multiples apatuzers and sides. They admitted they eat out 2-3 times a week at home. Left overs are never boxed or saved because the don't want to eat the same thing two days in a row. Food was thrown away and replaced with new becuSe the expiration date was close. The kids are bought toys and treats every time they leave the house. They bought new bathing suits for the kids rather than wash what they had or use hand me downs from my kids.

I found out she's been giving all the clothes I send to good will because her kids deserve new clothes. I've mailed at least 4 boxes of hand me down clothes and she never said anything until I tried to give her some to take home.

She has no understanding of shopping ina budget and doesn't want to learn. I am disgusted that we've been helping out thinking they were scraping by doing the best they could.

I told my husband we will never give them another dime. We work hard to make sure we have money in savings for emergencies. We are careful and thoughtful about our money. They aren't going to rely on our hard work to bail them out anymore when it's clear they could do so much better.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redbottoms
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:14 PM
well they are fools with money and lesson learned let them sink. Don't help them ever again
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I'll take the hand me downs!! I love them!! Lol
J.M.O.
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:17 PM
I wouldn't help them either. What did your dh say?
godsgirl26
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:17 PM
Ha ha, I was about to say the same thing.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'll take the hand me downs!! I love them!! Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:18 PM

Don't give her or her family anymore money as she obviously doesn't know how to budget and save money for family emergencies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:18 PM

oh no they eat out 2 times a week?  The horror!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:19 PM
That's all my kids wear. We buy them a new outfit for the first day of school. Everything else they own is from goodwill or given to us.

We could afford new clothes. But it's such a waste!

Quoting godsgirl26: Ha ha, I was about to say the same thing.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'll take the hand me downs!! I love them!! Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:19 PM
When they can't pay their bills it is. They borrow from various family members ina regular basis.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:22 PM
Are we related? Because this sounds just like one of my BILs and his wife. Only, when I was giving them clothes for my niece, (my niece had been wearing clothes too small for her and most of her shoes had holes in them), I was told they didn't want my shit anymore. We have refused to help him each and every time he had come with his hand out.
SweetPea2004
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:25 PM
Depending on family size that could be a couple hundred a week.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)