Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm sorry I wasn't aware GMs were not required to work.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies
I will put some background about my situation first.

So I work at McDonald's temporarily. I work at a warehouse through a temp agency. After 6 months you are off a month unless you have been hired on. The warehouse wants you there 5 years before they hire you on. I will reach my five year mark during the six months after I go back in August. The manager has already told me she wanted to hire me on into the office because I run the office when part-time girl isn't there.

Ok so while I am off for this month I got a job at my local McDonald's. I got hired and was working both jobs my last week at the warehouse. So I have been there 3 weeks. Today I worked 5am-1pm and breakfast was slammed around 7:30am I was at the register and we needed sugar packets. I ask the supervisor who was standing there doing didly squat to please grab a thing of sugar packets from the back because we were out and busy, so I couldn't leave the front.

He damn near throws them at me and goes "Next time get them yourself before you ask a General Manager to do something for you. Remember your are new and you are just a cashier."

Ex fucking scuse me. One, I am here because I wanted to leave my savings alone this month or maybe add to it. Two, you are short handed so I see it as helping you out. I don't need this job and I could just walk out. Three, don't talk to me like I am beneath you. You may be a GM but you suck at it. A good GM has no problem with helping the flow of the business.

I might go back tomorrow or I may quit. I just needed to vent. Can't wait until August 1st. I go back to my better job and will be in the nice air conditioned office. That office pay is nice too.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happinessforyou
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I have had shitty bosses too... sorry he was so freakin' rude to you...

I just can't believe that they make you work 5 years before they can figure out if they want to hire you permanently??? Are they "slow"???

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:29 PM
No they feel if you are there for five years you actually plan to stay. The pay is decent but the office pay is better. Once you are there five years it's guaranteed that they will hire you on. They let Manpower know who they don't want back though.

Quoting happinessforyou:

I just can't believe that they make you work 5 years before they can figure out if they want to hire you permanently??? Are they "slow"???

happinessforyou
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I think every job I've ever had has usually had a 90 day probation period. Usually both sides know how things are going to go before 90 days is up.... lol

5 years just seems way to long to me. :(

Quoting Anonymous 1: No they feel if you are there for five years you actually plan to stay. The pay is decent but the office pay is better. Once you are there five years it's guaranteed that they will hire you on. They let Manpower know who they don't want back though.
Quoting happinessforyou:

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:36 PM

I used to work at Burger king and at times was the only one up front running the register and sometimes running drive thru at the same time. The manager would sit in the office or go help the cookes before coming to help me because I didn't come ask. I am to busy to come ask.

mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

not all GMs are like that. my dad did a stint as a restaurant GM for awhile when i was a kid. worked his ass off! like 80 hours a week. and his employees all loved him.

some people are just assholes.

Fakemom7
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this
I saw a Mcdonalds manager treat his employee like garbage. I was younger and so shocked I basically froze. I felt so terrible for her. He really was a prick.

I called the store later and expressed how awful he was. Now that I am older and more confident, I would have told him what I thought in the spot.

There is no reason to treat emoloyees like that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Part of your job before you begin your shift is to make sure the front is stocked with everything you will need.  He should be helping with the flow of business however his role is not to step in because you were unprepared.  He was very unprofessional in how he spoke to you though. 

Southern_Song
by Jo on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:44 PM
GMs are usually pretty accommodating in my experience. Just a shitty one. If you ask my husband, E8s jobs are to play video games. Lol. It's a superiority complex love bug.
redbottoms
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:46 PM
yeah pretty standard unfortunately. I often would have managers sitting around doing jack squat and then get mad when we are backed up or a customer complains it took too long for her groceries to get bagged up or whatever. And I am like "Well you could have helped" to the manager if they dared say something to me about it
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Was he a 17 year old asshole or a 50 year old asshole?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)