Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know how I can make them understand

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
I'm on oxygen 24/7. Even with the oxygen I struggle trying to breathe when I walk for more than a couple minutes. My heart rate goes up when I walk because of this. That only makes it more difficult. Yesterday we were out having some family time. My dad and his gf joined us midway through. I can't drive so I thought they would meet us at the first place and take us to the second. It was only about 1/4 mile apart. (My son and I took a cab there and one home.) The temperature was in the upper nineties and it was a code orange day. My dad and his gf couldn't understand why I couldn't walk that distance. I qualify for an electronic scooter but can't get one because my home is too small. Still it's been medically proven I shouldn't be walking that far. I just can't get my dad and his gf to grasp that concept though. I really don't know how to get them to understand.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:29 PM

If they don't get it by now they never will. Why not get a scooter to use outside the home though? It will make your life easier it seems. 

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:29 PM

So, they argued with you or something?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:30 PM

Ignore them and do what is best for you and your family. 

Out of curiosity, why are you on oxygen?

Trixie_dahl
by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:31 PM
I would get the scooter for when you go somewhere. Thats what my neighbor does. I guess he gets around his house okay on portable oxygen but if he leaves the yard hes on his scooter and i think they can something like 10 miles before needing a charge. Or they used to i havent thought about them in a few years
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:33 PM
Quoting Anonymous 2:

If they don't get it by now they never will. Why not get a scooter to use outside the home though? It will make your life easier it seems. 

They won't let you have one that is covered by insurance if you use it outside. Using one outside tears it up quickly. The one I would need is several thousand dollars. This is not something I have and especially not to repurchase every year or so.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:34 PM
Quoting Trixie_dahl: I would get the scooter for when you go somewhere. Thats what my neighbor does. I guess he gets around his house okay on portable oxygen but if he leaves the yard hes on his scooter and i think they can something like 10 miles before needing a charge. Or they used to i havent thought about them in a few years

They won't let you have one that is covered by insurance if you use it outside. Using one outside tears it up quickly. The one I would need is several thousand dollars. This is not something I have and especially not to repurchase every year or so.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:35 PM

Oh man. I didn't know that.

Quoting Anonymous 1:
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:36 PM
Quoting corticosteroid:

So, they argued with you or something?

It wasn't an argument but it was the same brick wall discussion we have been having since I was put on oxygen.
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

When the temp is high enough for code orange, it is difficult to breathe for anyone, let alone people with COPD or asthma.  

Send your dad articles like this one;

https://www.lung.ca/news/expert-opinions/pollution/heat-and-humidity

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:39 PM
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Oh man. I didn't know that.

Quoting Anonymous 1:
Quoting Anonymous 2:

I didn't either. There's a lot of crazy stuff that has to be done to get one. They even had to measure me to get the right one. I was okay with that but felt a little weirded out when I learned one of the measurements was of my butt.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)