Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is articulate really an insult?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I was reading in another post. I don't think I use the word but I'll be careful not to if this is a real thing.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Damn_Pixi
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:36 PM

Well if you were being a douche about someone's speaking skills, it could be used in an insult to someone...

ar·tic·u·late
adjective
ärˈtikyələt/
  1. 1.
    (of a person or a person's words) having or showing the ability to speak fluently and coherently.
    "an articulate account of their experiences"
    synonyms:eloquentfluenteffectivepersuasivelucidexpressive, silver-tongued; More
  2. 2.
    having joints or jointed segments.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:36 PM
I don't see why it would be
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:37 PM
I don't see it as offensive unless someone doesn't know what it means, or said sarcastically.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Many of these women NEED to believe words that are not actually insulting are insulting.

It amazes me how many of the members here have such bad lives that insulting a fellow women/mom is their goal in life. But it takes all kinds , I guess.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:38 PM

It is if you say it to a black person IMO. I'm white btw. I just think it's condescending. Like patting them on the head and saying, oh wow, congrats, you're not ghetto! SMH, so rude. 

Southern_Song
by Jo on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:39 PM
If being sarcastic or sardonic yes. But generally no. That's just up tight overtly PC bitches who need ANYTHING to make an issue out of. Plus, they hate realism. If you're articulate, you can be told so without offense.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:41 PM

Well, you're obviously not articulate.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 3:42 PM
It seems only to be an insult when referring to a black person. " Wow, Obama is so articulate" It's one of those traps where even when you're being complimentary it's heard as an offensive statement.
Pink.Sunshine
by Queen on Jul. 14, 2017 at 4:11 PM
Articulate...is a compliment
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 4:14 PM
I've been told that considering where I'm from, they didn't expect me to be so articulate/intelligent. In that case, it's an insult, and also an admission of their own bigotry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)