Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Forced gender neutrality

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 5:45 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have a boy and a girl who swip swap toys.  My ds is obsessed with Starfire and we buy him a collection of figurines.   I have no problem with gender neutral kids.  My issue is when it is forced.  I have one friend in particular that buys her kids barbies and I believe it is for the simple reason to post it on facebook for bragging rights.  Makes me wonder if she would buy him a toy that is generally targeted for a boy or deny him that for the agenda.   Also, ds 10 refused to wear a pink shirt for the breast cancer walk at school.  This was not imposed on him by me.  I think it was a peer thing.   After trying, I just pinned a ribbon on his shirt and called it a day.  Your thoughts? 

by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Jul. 14, 2017 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm with you.
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 5:47 PM
2 moms liked this

It's been my experience that you can't really force a kid to truly be one thing or another, all you can do is force them to behave one way or another.

AbbyWalsh
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 5:48 PM
Toys and colors are not what determines gender.
Southern_Song
by Jo on Jul. 14, 2017 at 5:49 PM
I'm with you. I do what they like. I don't push any weird agenda. Just too much crazy in one bag for me.
TinkTink205
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 5:51 PM

I understand that.  Gender neutral traditionally means that you don't buy in the traditional ideas about your children's interests.  They are centered around the child.  My argument is whether a boy should be denied a genarally boy targeted toy because of the parent's desire to prove their tolerance.

Quoting AbbyWalsh: Toys and colors are not what determines gender.

K3412
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I am all for taking children's lead when it comes to gender-specific items, but forced gender neutrality is wrong.

ThatDancerGirl
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you. I let my daughter choose her toys. Most of the time it's from the girl section, but occasionally she chooses from the boy section. It really doesn't matter to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I took my kids' lead when it came to toys and clothes that they preferred.
Midtnight2000
by Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
No I find it incredibly wrong to deny a child a gender expression no matter what that may be and if my son wants a gun he'll get a gun if he wants his nails painted like his sister and mom, guess what he'll have his nails done. We actually did this a week or so ago he and his sister had their nail painted in heat sensitive nail polish, and they loved it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I am very gender neutral, i dont force it tho. If my boy wants "girl things"&vice versa ok. Last spring my son went thru a tutu phase lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)