Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't think my son can ever have electronics or video games

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
He is 8.

Every time I let him play on a tablet, phone or video game, he is either extremely nasty when it's time to put it down, or his behavior is incredibly bad after for a few days. Sometimes both.

I have tried taking them away for various amounts of times, and time gets added every time he's bad afterwards, but just as soon as he gets them back he does the same thing over and over again.

I like to play video games sometimes, he tries to sneak and watch me play. I HATE people looking over my shoulder watching me do anything at all. He keeps doing it and it drives me nuts.

Anyone else have a kid like this?

He kept getting more time added because he kept sneaking SD's tablet. I literally have to have it next to my bed while DH and I sleep because when we tried to have it out SD would invite him to her room and tell him he could "sneak" to play on it and he would. Or he would get up hours before everyone and play on it. The tablet stays at her Mom's house unless she brings it while she visits so it doesn't live here but when it does that's what I have to do.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2017 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2017 at 6:35 PM
Bump.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this
It's the forbidden fruit. Sometimes the harder you pull they want to push back harder.

As for watching you.....really? Let the kid watch. It's pretty damn petty not to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 6:38 PM
Do you give him warnings when his time is almost up? What type of games is he playing? Are they violent games? Are they level games or 'free play' games?

Instead of punishing him with less technology (which won't help the situation when he's grown), punish him with extra chores, lines or even make him run around the yard X amounts of time. Let him sit and watch you play to show him how to correctly respond when it's time to turn it off. Make gaming a positive family thing.
Melissa_4
by Navy Mom on Jul. 14, 2017 at 6:39 PM

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2704015/

Melissa_4
by Navy Mom on Jul. 14, 2017 at 6:41 PM

This one lays it out much clearer:

https://www.raisesmartkid.com/3-to-6-years-old/4-articles/34-the-good-and-bad-effects-of-video-games

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 6:44 PM

Not really. She's only 3 though and has the attention span of a goldfish. She likes to play the games where you draw with your finger tips. I do notice if she watches tv too long she gets sleepy and when she's sleepy she's cranky.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2017 at 6:48 PM

Yes, I do, but it still doesn't help.

He'll also ask me 50 times a day if he can play video games when he's not grounded from them, even if I tell him no the first time and tell him/follow through with punishments for continuing to bug me about them. Even if I say Ok at X time you can play or you can play after X is done he still asks me obsessively.

He plays age appropriate games.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Do you give him warnings when his time is almost up? What type of games is he playing? Are they violent games? Are they level games or 'free play' games? Instead of punishing him with less technology (which won't help the situation when he's grown), punish him with extra chores, lines or even make him run around the yard X amounts of time. Let him sit and watch you play to show him how to correctly respond when it's time to turn it off. Make gaming a positive family thing.

HOT4TCHR
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 7:51 PM

My son and I are both pretty addicted to screen time.  We've been sitting here talking about your post and we are wondering how long you are letting him play before it's "time to put it down"?

Don't text while driving.

---Janice---

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 7:52 PM
yes my 10 year old sons can be like this and if they are assy, I just yell at them and ban them from the video games for awhile. repeat repeat.

Quoting Anonymous 1: He is 8.

Every time I let him play on a tablet, phone or video game, he is either extremely nasty when it's time to put it down, or his behavior is incredibly bad after for a few days. Sometimes both.

I have tried taking them away for various amounts of times, and time gets added every time he's bad afterwards, but just as soon as he gets them back he does the same thing over and over again.

I like to play video games sometimes, he tries to sneak and watch me play. I HATE people looking over my shoulder watching me do anything at all. He keeps doing it and it drives me nuts.

Anyone else have a kid like this?

He kept getting more time added because he kept sneaking SD's tablet. I literally have to have it next to my bed while DH and I sleep because when we tried to have it out SD would invite him to her room and tell him he could "sneak" to play on it and he would. Or he would get up hours before everyone and play on it. The tablet stays at her Mom's house unless she brings it while she visits so it doesn't live here but when it does that's what I have to do.
cali_gurl
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 7:52 PM

Give him a 5 minute countdown and then a one minute countdown. Send him to his room right after he he acts up when time is up. Just silly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)