Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A cell phone and a 10 year old boy...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

I want to give my old prepaid phone to my DS10 as a late birthday gift its nothing special it is a WORKING phone he can call the number i put in there and and he can add his friends if he wanted too.. but DH thinks its a horrible idea cause he is only 10.. DS is a bookworm and doesn't do much outside of the home and if dose. he goes to the library and plays the games there in the kids area or he reads and sometimes plays on the computers or ipads there..  i see no issues with giving him this phone it doesn't have a data plan you need to Wifi to use the net on it.... so what do you guys think? phone or no phone?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2017 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:22 PM

BUMP!

ColieO
by Emerald Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:24 PM
My 9 year old has one. He doesn't get free access to it, but it's nice for him to have when needed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:28 PM
My 10 year old will get one for his birthday in December. We are giving him more and more freedom to go around the neighborhood with friends and I want to be able to contact him and vice versa. He won't have unlimited data, etc and we will closely monitored usage but I'll feel better with him having one. Right now all the moms text back and forth "they're here.". "they're going...". It would be so much easier if he could just do it himself.

We may also start letting him walk to school with friends next year so that'll be another thing.
AveragePuck
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:32 PM
In my house you have to be in an extracurricular to have a phone.
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:39 PM
My DD will be getting a phone for her 11th. She'll be coming home after school. No more daycare...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:40 PM

he is 10 they dont start offering anything till middle school here

Quoting AveragePuck: In my house you have to be in an extracurricular to have a phone.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jul. 15, 2017 at 6:27 AM
No phone.. We don't allow phones until they can pay for the phone and monthly bill, or they have a job, or they are driving. My youngest will be 9 in a couple of weeks and my oldest is almost 12. I see no reason for mine to hsve a phone and their friends' parents must feel the same way as none of them have phones either.
beco8627
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2017 at 6:34 AM
Mine turns 10 in November. I've been seriously thinking of getting him a phone for the reasons you listed and it would be the same as what you said. No data plan, just a phone to call or text

Quoting Anonymous 2: My 10 year old will get one for his birthday in December. We are giving him more and more freedom to go around the neighborhood with friends and I want to be able to contact him and vice versa. He won't have unlimited data, etc and we will closely monitored usage but I'll feel better with him having one. Right now all the moms text back and forth "they're here.". "they're going...". It would be so much easier if he could just do it himself.

We may also start letting him walk to school with friends next year so that'll be another thing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 15, 2017 at 6:37 AM
Personally at that age I wouldn't. Unless it's during school and they are staying home alone after school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 15, 2017 at 6:39 AM
Ds is 5 and offers nothing in school but we put him in karate as an extra. He has come out of his shell and making friends.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

he is 10 they dont start offering anything till middle school here

Quoting AveragePuck: In my house you have to be in an extracurricular to have a phone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)