Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Copyrighted?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies
I've seen a lot of cake decoraters make cakes of different characters like the trolls or cars.

Since they are selling them are they breaking any laws/copyrights?

Not that I have any plans to turn any of them in, it's just curiosity on my part.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:08 PM
Technically, its copyright infringement, unless the decorator obtained permission from the company who owns the design/character. It's a very minimal risk though. Most people don't go after small time cake decorators.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:12 PM
I thought maybe it was but didn't know if maybe the rules have been relaxed over the years or not.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Technically, its copyright infringement, unless the decorator obtained permission from the company who owns the design/character. It's a very minimal risk though. Most people don't go after small time cake decorators.
VegetaPrincess
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:15 PM

It's copyright infringement but that has to be enforced by the owner of the copyright. It's not a public crime, for lack of the proper term which escapes me at the moment. It's a private matter.

The owner can sue them for damages and force them to stop but they aren't going to be convicted of a crime or go to prison for it. 

Most businesses won't go after small time cake decorators because it isn't worth it to them. If a bakery was doing it, then yeah, they probably would.

Although Disney has gone after people like that before. I remember when they went after some old lady who was selling baby clothes with Mickey Mouse embroidered on them. Disney don't play. LOL 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)