Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD meds

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 73 Replies
It seems like ADHD meds are the only ones that parents take their kids off of at will, like for vacations and summers. Why is this? Why is ADHD treated my so lightly? No other med is started and stopped like that. Or is it that the school system is so rigid we have to over diagnose and over medicate in order to get children through the school day?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this
If they're in a classroom for 7 hrs a day of course they need medication. Summer is relaxed so they dont have to be so rigid.
Kaelee1
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:28 PM

My son would get side effects and withdrawals if we messed around with his.  So we were just consistent.  He still takes his meds regularly and doesn't mess around with them.

Maevelyn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:30 PM
My dd takes hers during the summer. Her meds don't build up in her system though, so if she missed a dose of even a whole day it wouldn't mess her up too badly. She's be kind of an ass but she's be better when she got back on. I guess she might be kind of emotional. We haven't taken her of them ever for any length of time so I'm not sure. People are just lazy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

People have this strange belief that ADHD can be cured or controlled by letting kids run wild during the summer. That's not how that works, lol.

sweetfox3
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:36 PM
Probably many take the kids off because their insurance doesn't cover the cost.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Do you know how ADHD medication works? I don't even want to medicate my child ever so why would I do it when it isn't necessary?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:44 PM
My son has ADHD and we keep him on his meds year round. However I do know that when a doctor needs to make an extreme med change and involves being off meds for an extended amount of time to get it out of their system completely they do tend to do it over summer.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:47 PM
You don't know anything about adhd do you?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
That isn't why we take our kids off meds in the summer

Quoting Anonymous 3:

People have this strange belief that ADHD can be cured or controlled by letting kids run wild during the summer. That's not how that works, lol.

SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:49 PM
Not sure. We never medicated.
Here's a bump.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)