Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DH's new job is killing me!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
DH recently started a new job. He was looking to get out of a desk job and into something active and around people. He took a job as a front end manager at a high end specialty grocery store. Decent pay and KILLER benefits.

This job has him on his feet a majority of the time. He has been working 42-45 hours a week.

The thing is - he is ALWAYS exhausted and cranky. ALWAYS. He snaps a lot more, tells the kids they have no idea how hard he works, drinks 3-4 beers "to relax" when he gets home, and wants peace and quiet on his days off, saying he has to deal with people all day. I have even taken off on the weekends with the kids so he can be alone.

Is this normal for a guy changing jobs or doing more physical work than other jobs? I am ready to pull my hair out.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:00 AM
At least he has a job some people are jobless and homeless. Be humble
white_wolf454
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:00 AM

yes very normal

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:01 AM
Go to bed and do not put the lotion on the skin.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:02 AM
I am grateful for the job but his attitude has me on the defensive all the time.

Quoting Anonymous 2: At least he has a job some people are jobless and homeless. Be humble
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:04 AM
It's really hard to understand what he's going through since you don't go through it. I have the same situation in my house. I work a HARD, physical, on my feet for ten hours in no AC kinda job and my husband is the boss dude at a manufacturing company. He works very little and I work A LOT. It's hard. It's draining.
ElenaC08
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:04 AM
I know what you mean, when mine got this job three years ago he hasn't been the same since lol.
MamaBear131716
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:08 AM
I would say it's normal. He may need time to adjust. My dh works at least 12 hours a day 5 days a week and then 4-8 hours on Saturdays. He's exhausted all the time. He doesn't really get grumpy but he's constantly spaced out and not very engaging. He was a completely different person when he took his vacation. I can't wait until I graduate and start working full time so he can relax and find a job with better hours.
cali_gurl
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:40 AM

Give him a little time to adjust. Tell him to stop being mean at home too if he is.

LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:48 AM
It's normal. I recently started working a full time job with a commute and I was starving when I got home. I've had to train myself to eat more during the day so I felt better when I got home. Make sure he is taking a good lunch everyday. It will help a lot with the grouchy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:52 AM
He sounds like he isn't cut out for that kind of work.

My bf worked 120 hours in a week before.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)