• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Short and chunky clothing help?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:43 AM
  • 31 Replies
We've been going through clothes and doing back to school shopping, and I'm having the hardest time trying to find clothing for my youngest. On top of being really short for her age (she's 7), she's now overweight/swollen for a while. I cannot seem to find clothing that fits her properly, and most of her wardrobe is too small. I don't want to buy much, because it will mostly be ok when the weight comes off, but I'm so lost for now...and honestly, still not used to her being so chunky! Haha, from one extreme to the other...

Any advice on where to shop or what to do?
by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:46 AM

Check out Children's Place, maybe??  I know they have plus sizes for kids as well as adjustable waists.  They also have sales going on all the time.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:49 AM
Do they make plus sizes for like children's size 6?

Most everywhere I've seen has the larger sizes in 8 and up, and that's too big/long on her...it's the length I'm really having trouble with. If it fits her waist, it's like 4 sizes too long!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Check out Children's Place, maybe??  I know they have plus sizes for kids as well as adjustable waists.  They also have sales going on all the time.

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:50 AM
Sears has a whole section devoted to "plus" size girls. Cute clothes, too. Good luck!
oryxx31
by Captain Cook on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:52 AM
I'd go for a lot of elastic. And honestly, if you're not thinking she's going to be using them long term after her swelling goes down, I've noticed the clothes I've picked up at Walmart run to shorter legs and wider waists, particularly faded glory. (My kid has a passion for Walmart character tees).
She's a beanpole though, so I don't buy they pants. It's also a good way to get cheap leggings and get her some flowers tops to go with.
Bet she's excited to back to school! It's awesome that she's doing so well.

EDIT: flowy tops, not flowers tops. 🙄
blessed107
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:53 AM
JCP or Sears.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:54 AM
Do you know if they are smaller plus sizes, like children's 6? I see a lot of places that start them at size 8...

Quoting KendallsMommee: Sears has a whole section devoted to "plus" size girls. Cute clothes, too. Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:54 AM
Well, you most likely get told to "not feed her so much"
"Shame on you for having a fat young daughter"
" you're a terrible mother"
On this thread. So be aware and warned.

My almost 8 year old was a strong bean up until last year. Now, she is a bit chunky - she carries it all in her belly. She's in softball soccer and dance and is so active. Eats barely anything, which I want to help her w/this because I know just from me, (I eat nothing all day, just never hungry) but I gain weight this way(not intentionally doing this. Just poor metabolism ) so I assume she has the same thing.
Anyways, getting to her clothes- she is a size 10/12 in shirts and 7/8-in shorts paints. She's short too, so I basically have to hem some dresses and or pants -
Justice shirts are very nice- and actually are sized correctly, not itty bitty cling to the body t-shirts
She wears tights(capris) with t's and looks cute.
I find dresses that have the waistline higher- /landsend/childrens place have a lot, I do not like dresses on her that the waistline is low, I guess you'd say where like a belt would hit. It makes her belly appear larger. Shorts and t-shirts . And I love justices landends cartwheel skirts(have sewn in shorts) to run around and play without worry.
I hope I helped.
Justice/landsEnd/JCP/Sears/ old Navy all have plus sizes.
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:56 AM
I do believe they start at 4 or 6.

Quoting LucyMom08: Do you know if they are smaller plus sizes, like children's 6? I see a lot of places that start them at size 8...

Quoting KendallsMommee: Sears has a whole section devoted to "plus" size girls. Cute clothes, too. Good luck!
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Awesome. Thank you!

Quoting KendallsMommee: I do believe they start at 4 or 6.

Quoting LucyMom08: Do you know if they are smaller plus sizes, like children's 6? I see a lot of places that start them at size 8...

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:57 AM
Do you know anywhere that may sell decent jeans or pants? She has leggings, but wants some pants as well...

And thank you!

Quoting Anonymous 2: Well, you most likely get told to "not feed her so much"
"Shame on you for having a fat young daughter"
" you're a terrible mother"
On this thread. So be aware and warned.

My almost 8 year old was a strong bean up until last year. Now, she is a bit chunky - she carries it all in her belly. She's in softball soccer and dance and is so active. Eats barely anything, which I want to help her w/this because I know just from me, (I eat nothing all day, just never hungry) but I gain weight this way(not intentionally doing this. Just poor metabolism ) so I assume she has the same thing.
Anyways, getting to her clothes- she is a size 10/12 in shirts and 7/8-sometimes 10 in shorts paints.
Justice shirts are very nice- and actually are sized correctly, not itty bitty cling to the body t-shirts
She wears tights(capris) with t's and looks cute.
I find dresses that have the waistline higher- /landsend/childrens place have a lot, I do not like dresses on her that the waistline is low, I guess you'd say where like a belt would hit. It makes her belly appear larger. Shorts and t-shirts . And I love justices landends cartwheel skirts(have sewn in shorts) to run around and play without worry.
I hope I helped.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)