• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How's my resume? S/O

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

Another post had me wondering. I have been having similar problems getting called back even for basic office positions. This is my resume. Is there a problem here?

ETA The blurred sections are identifying info, it's not like that whdn I submit it to companies. I am not a job hopper, those were all student jobs. I was promoted each year til I graduated. This is more obvious without the blurred sections.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not very heavy on your actual experience that would make me want to hire you. I would also nix the extra curriculars; you aren't in college/high school anymore. They just make you look young and inexperienced.
Reading.Rainbow
by Brigid on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:34 PM

I'd hire you...

Dean's list and Summa cum Laude...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:35 PM

I just graduated a year and a half ago, that is my only experience. Before that if was just menial jobs.

Quoting Anonymous 2: It's not very heavy on your actual experience that would make me want to hire you. I would also nix the extra curriculars; you aren't in college/high school anymore. They just make you look young and inexperienced.

3gr8tKids
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Id be happy to evaluate it for you but I cannot read this. 

I cannot say this enough, the resume must match the job that you are applying for. 

We recommend multiple resumes and ALWAYS include a cover letter that highlights anything that wasn't on the resume. 

Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:41 PM
The format isn't very professional

Leave it at: Education. The "higher" isn't necessary

Unless you're trying to be a coach or in the athletics field, extracurricular activities aren't necessary

Everything should be lined up one side. This format is hard to read

Your work experience is very spotty. It looks like you're a job hopper
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:41 PM

What is it, too small?

Quoting 3gr8tKids:

I cannot say this enough, the resume must match the job that you are applying for. 

We recommend multiple resumes and ALWAYS include a cover letter that highlights anything that wasn't on the resume. 

jellybeanjean
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah I agree strongly with second statement

I think your resume needs to be tweaked to highlight skills relevant to the job you are applying for.

Quoting 3gr8tKids:

CampHarris
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Hey, I'm a former radio gal too!

But if you're looking for an office position, I would tailor your jobs to whatever the responsibilities of the job you're applying for are.  It's heavy on the radio experience as is... I'd expand on your last administrative job's responsibility as well as your administrative skills, and take out the "extracurricular activities" part, because most companies don't give a shit about that (I'm the HR manager for our company, so I see a LOT of resumes).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:48 PM
You are a job hopper. Companies don't want to waste resources on someone who stays only a year.

Your resume should reflect the skills you are applying for.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:51 PM

Those were all different positions at my school... The student jobs only last the school year, but I was promoted each year until I graduated.

Quoting Anonymous 3: You are a job hopper. Companies don't want to waste resources on someone who stays only a year. Your resume should reflect the skills you are applying for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)