Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scared the crap out of me!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Mobile Photo

My husband just left for work. I was just sitting here in living room with kids and heard huge crash at front of house by garage. Ran outside and saw light over garage door came crashing down. We just bought house 2 years ago and never been able to find switch or electrical source to it. Although it's probably up in attic somewhere. So I can't turn it off. Will have to wait until my husband gets home from work. I afraid to touch it.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ShesSoUnusual
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:10 PM

It's a ghost! 

Kidding, that would scare me too. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:54 PM

It was so loud. I thought somebody crashed thru the garage lol. That thing is solid metal tho. Hopefully my husband can get it fixed ok tomorrow. Think its time for something new,

Quoting ShesSoUnusual:

It's a ghost! 

Kidding, that would scare me too. 

nemo258
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:56 PM
That would scare me too. Hope it didn't damage the roof when it fell
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

You had better NOT wait !  The heat from the burning bulb might ignite something and it's possible the wires are stripped making an electricity hazzard.

If all else fails, call the fire department and ask for help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:25 PM

Thats my concern. The thing is old. I think its original to the house and the house is 40 years old. The wires very likely could be frayed. I called my husband at work and asked him if there is any way I can shut off electricity to it. Maybe a breaker. But he said no. That thing is wired directly into the main line. I have to shut off electricity to the whole entire house. He won't be home until 8pm. So we would have to sit here all day with no electricity. No fans or AC. We are in Texas. Its over 100 degrees here and humid. We would not survive lol. He says its fine tho. Just leave it alone. Don't touch it. He will figure it out when he gets home. But I wonder if I should call an electrician or something. Its really making me nervous. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

You had better NOT wait !  The heat from the burning bulb might ignite something and it's possible the wires are stripped making an electricity hazzard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:26 PM

Hopefully not. It was attached to side of roof/house. So it didn't fall on it. But it still might have done some damage. Nothing major tho. 

Quoting nemo258: That would scare me too. Hope it didn't damage the roof when it fell

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:28 PM

Here, if I explained the situation, the fire dept. would send an inspector out to assess the dangers.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Thats my concern. The thing is old. I think its original to the house and the house is 40 years old. The wires very likely could be frayed. I called my husband at work and asked him if there is any way I can shut off electricity to it. Maybe a breaker. But he said no. That thing is wired directly into the main line. I have to shut off electricity to the whole entire house. He won't be home until 8pm. So we would have to sit here all day with no electricity. No fans or AC. We are in Texas. Its over 100 degrees here and humid. We would not survive lol. He says its fine tho. Just leave it alone. Don't touch it. He will figure it out when he gets home. But I wonder if I should call an electrician or something. Its really making me nervous. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:29 PM

Not sure if they do that here. But its worth a try. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Here, if I explained the situation, the fire dept. would send an inspector out to assess the dangers.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)