Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A calculator is required and not provided

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 263 Replies

That is what my DD's school information says. A TI 84 or TI 83 calculator is required and not provided, no other calculators are allowed including phones. It is a public school. She is going to use the one my son used to use (those things last forever) but I wonder what others that dont have the means to buy one do. Do the kids just have to do everything by scratch? I dont even think that is possible for a lot of their work. 

DD is in 6th grade. I know in high school they are needed but I think it is extreme for middle school. I know some people have multiple kids that now need these things and they arent exactly cheap 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby4us09
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:07 PM
We bought one. Thing is they get stolen so easy and that bothers me and then you are expected to replace it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:08 PM

I have heard that too. Here they put your last name on it but it isnt hard to just scratch that out. Many use second hand ones so they are scratched out anyway 

Quoting Baby4us09: We bought one. Thing is they get stolen so easy and that bothers me and then you are expected to replace it.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:09 PM
We had to have one of those in high school when I went and we had to provide it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:10 PM
Teach your child to take care of it.

Quoting Baby4us09: We bought one. Thing is they get stolen so easy and that bothers me and then you are expected to replace it.
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:10 PM
I don't know how that would work if the school doesn't provide one to those who can't afford it.
.oOPoisonOo.
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I remember using the ones they issued us in school. We just handed them back after that class was over and they stayed in the rooms. Those calculators are pricey. :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:11 PM

I wonder also. There are no programs or anything if you are struggling and need help buying one. I could understand if they were $20 but they start at $100 at walmart. 

Quoting owl0210: I don't know how that would work if the school doesn't provide one to those who can't afford it.

Baby4us09
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:12 PM
I try trust me.
I told her if it gets stolen she needs to replace it. They are over 100 here and she doesn't have a job.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Teach your child to take care of it.

sarahfire
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:13 PM
5 moms liked this

Schools have been requiring those graphing calculators since I was in middle school or before (mid 1990s)

If someone couldn't afford one there was usually a *limited* number of school owned calculators that could be checked out and used for class and then turned back in.

You can also sometimes find them on sale, or find used ones for sale online.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:13 PM

I imagine it's not hard to find used ones from older kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)