Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My cousin thinks this is selfish I disagree

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies
So a new school policy is that at orientation the teachers give each parent of form that not only lists all the school supplies that are needed and requested classroom supplies but also requests permission for the child's personal school supplies to be collected up and redistributed among all the children who participate or children who do not show up with school supplies. If you do not check this box and sign then your child's school supplies will all go in their personal cubby to only be used by them. But of course if you're not okay with your kid's school supplies being shared with others you don't have to send in as much either ( the number of supplies are listed for each thing but in parentheses there is a different number if you are not going to be sending your kids stuff in to share. For example on my 6th graders and asks for 6 boxes of markers. But if you're not going to share then you really only need to send in three. I have decided not to check the box and this is why. I have 8 kids in my home. 4 are mine biologically 4 are my cousins who passed away a year-and-a-half ago. Y dh and i adpted them. Only my youngest two are home, the other six are in school (all in elementary school, one in each grade except for second grade) and all need school supplies. Last year I had 5 in school and I spent approximately $400 in school supplies only to get notes home from four of those classrooms just before Christmas break ( obviously a pretty expensive time for my family) saying that more school supplies were needed even though I sent an conical amounts of crayons glue sticks markers Etc and there is no way that my kids blew through that much.

I was talking to my cousin (obviously not the parent of these kids) who happens to be a teacher about it. I was saying that I thought it was a good idea. Because there are people like me who have a lot of kids. I'm already supplying 6 kids I don't need to send in extras to supply three or four more kids only to send in more around Christmas. She says that I'm being selfish and that these kids are either not going to have school supplies or it's going to be down to the teacher to provide them. I told her that I do feel bad but at the same time all I'm already supplying six kids as is my responsibility. I feel like as parents if we would like to donate extra that should be our choice. Our kids things should not be taken up and then redistributed around the classroom without our consent. I will bring in some things to donate to the classroom and I always donate plenty of hand sanitizer and tissues but I have to say that I'm glad that they give parents the opportunity to opt out of donating everything their kids send in.

And before anybody says it we are fine financially. We have everything we need and quite a bit of what we want. But when I have to drop $400 in school supplies Sometimes some extras have to be held off on. And I have no problem holding off on Extras like getting my nails done or going out to lunch with a friend for my own children. I would do that because that's my responsibility but I don't think it's my responsibility to give up a few luxuries for other people's children. Especially when many of those other people could afford to buy their kids school supplies if they gave up a few luxuries.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:50 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 2:59 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:00 PM
Sorry. I have ADHD and got bored by paragraph 2.
EarlGrayHot
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:03 PM
7 moms liked this

I think teachers have gotten greedy about asking for too much and demanding kids share.  It's time parents put a stop to it.  Instead, teachers should remind parents it's their responsibility to provide.  Lots of people and businesses donate supplies and that is where teachers should be getting things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:03 PM
8 moms liked this

I would love for teachers to not buy supplies for their class for one year. It would show parents how little they are actually asked for when it comes to supply lists...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I last year realized Amazon sells school supplies in bulk, so 6 of my friends got together and split big things, markers, notebooks, glue etc. Anyway for all 6 we managed to get it down to around 50 bucks per kid.  All of our school supplies are shared, and I think you should share, it isn't the school's fault you have so many children, do you realize how many teachers pay out of their own pocket for stuff?

mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:06 PM
Very original.
RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I always send extras. If they want to share my kids supplies I'm ok with that too. Teachers are overworked and underpaid if my sending in some extra stuff or having my kids share will lessen their load I'm all for it. I have 4 kids. It just don't bother me to help out others.
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:07 PM
I buy in bulk off of amazon. I give extra to their homeroom teachers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Although I think sharing is important for those that are less fortunate and need the extra help, I actually do agree with your point of view. You have a lot more kids to provide for compared to a family that only has 1 or 2 kids. You don't have as much to share. I think giving parents options is great. Let them decide. There are always the parents that have the extra money and don't mind.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)