Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Double ear infection

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
So, I've been diagnosed with a double ear infection and a uti. A great combo. :( I'm on antibiotics for both, but my hearing is still muffled three days later. I've never had an ear infection in my adult life, so I really don't know what to expect as far as when my full hearing will return. Anyone have any insight?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
anchorturtle
by silly rabbit on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:11 PM
No. But I hope you feel better that sounds awful.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:13 PM

You have fluid in your ears and that is why your hearing is muffled.  Until that goes away your hearing will continue to muffled.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:16 PM
Did your doctor suggest a decongestant? If not, call and see if they can recommend one. Your ears are probably clogged up and a decongestant might help. What helps me for my ears is actually a nasal decongestant - Flonase. Do ONE dose a day in each nostril, for 2-3 days. (NOT the maximum allowed according to the directions). If you over-use it, it makes things worse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm returning tomorrow for a follow up. I'll ask him about it then. Thanks!

Quoting Anonymous 2: Did your doctor suggest a decongestant? If not, call and see if they can recommend one. Your ears are probably clogged up and a decongestant might help. What helps me for my ears is actually a nasal decongestant - Flonase. Do ONE dose a day in each nostril, for 2-3 days. (NOT the maximum allowed according to the directions). If you over-use it, it makes things worse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:21 PM

I have had chronic ear infections so my experience may be abnormal, but you may have the muffled hearing for up to a week after you finish the antibiotics.  Try things to clear your sinuses, such as sudafed or a neti pot thing.  Unless you are in pain, I'd wait for a week or so after you finish the antibiotic to call.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:23 PM

The hearing may take awhile.  The infection will go away with the meds but the fluid can take awhile.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:42 PM
There are some weird viruses going around this year. My son just got over a ear infection and freaking pink eye! He's never has pink eye! And, it was all viral, so we had to "let it run its course"..
Tinse
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:44 PM

I've got the same thing - a double ear infection, buzzing and ringing in the ears, can barely hear but some noises/voices seem so loud I just about jump out of my skin.

Haven't been to a clinic yet.  I've been doing the ol' peroxide treatment to see if that will help.

EarlGrayHot
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:48 PM

If you are saying that water got in your ear canal adding a little rubbing alcohol then letting it drain out could get rid of it.  I was being treated for an ear infection and in addition to oral antibiotics they gave me antibiotic drops for the ear canal.  Mine hurt really bad and the drops helped.  I had pain under my jaw below the left ear. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)