Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't care if it's part of your PARENTING, I don't want to deal with it!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
I'm really not sure how I feel about this. Part of me commends her for sticking with it and making her child apologize, but another part of me sees it as excessive and her causing a bigger situation than her child did.

What happened was a friend of mine, our kids and I went to Burger King to get ice cream and let the kids play for awhile.
Sitting behind me was two other woman and their kids were also playing.
I'm still not 100% sure exactly what happened, but the one woman's son was just being a brat. She was constantly getting on to him, for what exactly I don't know because I wasn't paying much attention to him, but I heard his mom constantly getting on to him.
He was maybe 5. Our kids are older and have thick skins so I wasn't concerned with this other kid was doing. I knew he wasn't hitting or anything, that I would have noticed. And whatever he was doing wasn't bad enough that our kids came to tell us.
Anyways, after about 30 minutes of her constantly getting on to him, she finally starts telling him he needed to apologize. Over and over it was "You need to apologize now, tell her you're sorry." Well, then I notice she's pointing at me.
This kid starts crying loudly. He just stood there right by his mom, which was also by us, just crying.
I have no idea what happened. I don't know if he was mean to one of my kids. I asked them after we left and they both said he was being a brat but they just ignored him and stayed away from him. Or if he said something mean about me. I don't know. But she would not let him play until he apologized to me.
I'm just wanting to spend time with my friend, but we couldn't hear each other.
After about 10 minutes I finally get up and squat in front of him and just talk to him, asking him what he name is and such hoping it would get him comfortable enough to apologize so we can get back to our conversation. Well, after I ask him a few questions and he does calm down his mom again tells him to apologize. He went right back to crying and developed hiccups because of it.
I go back to my seat and just try to ignore the whole situation. I wanted to tell this mom that it was ok for him not to apologize because I have no idea what he even did, but I don't because I wouldn't want someone else to step on my parenting toes.
The other mom's kid comes to her and wants to leave, so they throw away their stuff and get ready, but this Mom will not leave until her son says sorry.
Finally after what seemed like an eternity he said sorry and they left.
I was so thankful when they left. I understand that this Mom wanted to be in charge and not let her son get away with things, but what she did irritated me.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:54 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:55 PM

i think that mom was just saying 'look what a great mom i am' when i make my son apologize,if he takes forever,i just spologize to the person and deal with him later.im not standing there all day..

mmtosam06
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:57 PM
That is annoying hugs
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 3:57 PM
I think you're right. It was just way too excessive. I think if this kid breathed wrong she'd get onto him.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

i think that mom was just saying 'look what a great mom i am' when i make my son apologize,if he takes forever,i just spologize to the person and deal with him later.im not standing there all day..

VegetaPrincess
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:00 PM
I'd have told her to leave me alone. That's crazy.
Brain_fart
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:02 PM
This. She sounds nuts. Poor kid.

Quoting VegetaPrincess: I'd have told her to leave me alone. That's crazy.
susannah2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:04 PM

Quoting Anonymous 1: I think you're right. It was just way too excessive. I think if this kid breathed wrong she'd get onto him.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

It is true that some parents just stay on their kids' backs no matter what they do. I remember seeing a woman and a boy on the train once, the boy was around 8 or 9, and he was just sitting there, looking out the window, and she kept telling him to stop it, stop doing that. I couldn't figure out what he was doing that bothered her so. Maybe she didn't like how he was breathing. In this case, perhaps you should have asked the mother what was wrong. That would have put the pressure on her instead of her putting it on the child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:05 PM

I think at that age, that was a bit excessive. Mom was expecting too much from him and not being realistic. She should have held his hand and walked him over to you and talked for him and apologized for him and reinforced to him this is what he needs to do. Either that or she should have just taken him outside and left if he wasn't going to cooperate. She had good intentions. I think she just went about it the wrong way. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:06 PM
I was at dollar tree the other day, and I was in the same aisle as a woman when her two kids came running over. Our store is very small, these kids were maybe 5 or 6, and we were the only ones in the store. Anyway, the kids run over, say excuse me, and walk around me to their mom. I was impressed with their manners. Then, mom says to them "you guys are being so rude, apologize to that woman"....so the kids turn and say "sorry ma'am"...I'm feeling awkward, and I'm just like okay. Then mom says, "no, say you're sorry for being rude"...so they turn and say "sorry we were rude to you"....I looked at the mom and said "you know, they did say excuse me, they're fine".

I hate when parents do that.
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:08 PM
I would have asked her straight out what he needed to apologize for and told her quietly that I didn't want an apology from him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)