Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kind of S/O - If you homeschool, do you take summer break?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:15 PM
Yes! We all need it. We start back in August and go pretty much every weekday until the end of April. Dd does competitive dance and life gets crazy in the spring so I modified our schedule to match.
I know a family who homeschools winter and summer but takes spring and fall off when the weather is nice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:15 PM
Bump
jules2boys
by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:17 PM

I don't homeschool but have two very good family friends who do and both of them took a summer break. They used different homeschool programs so their breaks were different (different start/end dates for the school year as well), but that's no different than my kids in public school or their friends in other school districts/private schools with different start/stop dates either.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:20 PM

Not really.  Our school year starts on Jul 1 and ends Jun 30, so we have 365 days to meet our 180 days of attendance. We work about 3 days per week during the summer.  If it is a particularly hot week, we may work more.  We take off more time in the fall and spring than we do in the summer and winter. 

NutraNut17
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:22 PM

Well, I *tried* to get him to take a break.   Didn't work very well though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:29 PM
Any particular reason why you take more time off arpund those seasons? Just curious.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Not really.  Our school year starts on Jul 1 and ends Jun 30, so we have 365 days to meet our 180 days of attendance. We work about 3 days per week during the summer.  If it is a particularly hot week, we may work more.  We take off more time in the fall and spring than we do in the summer and winter. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:31 PM

I don't homeschool. But both my sister and my cousin homeschool their kids. They both follow traditional school schedules and break when they do over the summer and that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:32 PM

The weather is better.  If the weather has the kids trapped in the house, we might as well school for part of the day. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Any particular reason why you take more time off arpund those seasons? Just curious.
Quoting Anonymous 3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)