Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What the hell is Kombucha? And why would people want the Scobys from it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

Seriously I want to know.

I keep seeing posts about it in my local mom's facebook page but I don't want to ask there. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:24 PM
I don't understand how this post was easier than google.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:26 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2: I don't understand how this post was easier than google.

I also wanted feedback from others on it's "use".  That usually accompanies questions.  

VegetaPrincess
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:26 PM
Its fermented tea. You need a scoby to make it and making it creates more of them so you can give them away.

It helps my stomach issues so I made it for a while but I was overrun with scobies and I found the process kind of gross.

I just buy it now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:30 PM

Quoting VegetaPrincess: Its fermented tea. You need a scoby to make it and making it creates more of them so you can give them away. It helps my stomach issues so I made it for a while but I was overrun with scobies and I found the process kind of gross. I just buy it now.

Interesting... so scobies is like a yeast type thing?  Or if you were doing some sort of sour dough bread where you have to keep some of it back for a new batch?

ysmeine
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:58 PM
A scoby is a symbiotic combination of yeast and lacto bacteria. It grows into what looks like a jelly pancake ish formation that floats on top. People drink it for the probiotics. Another symbiotic yeast lacto combo are kefir grains. These come in two forms milk that makes something similar to yogurt. Except yougurt does not have yeast. There is another nondairy version that makes a type of fizzy lemonade. Kefir grains are jelly like,reproduce like a scoby but are shaped more like small clusters. I used the nondairy kefir grains. You have to restart a new batch of dri k every three days or so to feed your grains and keep them healthy. I liked to mix it with juice, blend it in smoothies, especially after a round of antibiotics or food related intestinal problems.
ysmeine
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 5:25 PM
Also kombucha is more vinegary than kefir as its specific microbiology makeup is different. I had a bad uti, then a yeast infection, to an gastric infection. I think I was on a total of four types of antibiotics. To replace the good bacteria in my gut I ate yogurt, store bought kombucha, kefir water, and probiotic gummies. You should have a wide range of bacteria so using different strands was important.
VegetaPrincess
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 5:36 PM
Its a yeast colony. You keep it alive in a little bit of the kombucha and then add it to the next batch.

I was getting dinner plate size scobies from each batch. It was overwhelming. Lol

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting VegetaPrincess: Its fermented tea. You need a scoby to make it and making it creates more of them so you can give them away.

It helps my stomach issues so I made it for a while but I was overrun with scobies and I found the process kind of gross.

I just buy it now.

Interesting... so scobies is like a yeast type thing?  Or if you were doing some sort of sour dough bread where you have to keep some of it back for a new batch?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:06 PM

Interesting.. thank you so much!  Yes, these same people mentioned kefir before but I remember that from visits to Europe.  Haven't had any of it.

Quoting ysmeine: A scoby is a symbiotic combination of yeast and lacto bacteria. It grows into what looks like a jelly pancake ish formation that floats on top. People drink it for the probiotics. Another symbiotic yeast lacto combo are kefir grains. These come in two forms milk that makes something similar to yogurt. Except yougurt does not have yeast. There is another nondairy version that makes a type of fizzy lemonade. Kefir grains are jelly like,reproduce like a scoby but are shaped more like small clusters. I used the nondairy kefir grains. You have to restart a new batch of dri k every three days or so to feed your grains and keep them healthy. I liked to mix it with juice, blend it in smoothies, especially after a round of antibiotics or food related intestinal problems.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:08 PM

That's good to know.  Thank you!

Quoting ysmeine: Also kombucha is more vinegary than kefir as its specific microbiology makeup is different. I had a bad uti, then a yeast infection, to an gastric infection. I think I was on a total of four types of antibiotics. To replace the good bacteria in my gut I ate yogurt, store bought kombucha, kefir water, and probiotic gummies. You should have a wide range of bacteria so using different strands was important.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:09 PM

Mobile Photo

It's life. I'm drinking it right now
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)