• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School uniforms. For or against?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 5:15 PM
  • 153 Replies
1 mom liked this
I am heavily against. I think kids need that individuality. The argument of "no more fights about what to wear", teach the kid not to fight, give them appropriate choices and let them get dressed. Why should everyone have to be the same because your kid refused to listen to you? The argument that it cuts bullying; teach little snowflake that not everyone will like them or their clothes. And to not be so soft as to let a kid laughing at them ruin things for everyone else. The argument that it saves money; doesn't the kid require X amount of shorts and X amount of pants for school? Last I checked the shirt wasn't cheaper just because it's a blue polo, either way you have to get the same amount of clothes.
Just a few of the reasons I'm against. Where do you stand on the subject? Why?
by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 4, 2017 at 5:16 PM
I don't care, really. DS's school doesn't require them, but I wouldn't care if they did.
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Aug. 4, 2017 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this
For. I love uniforms.
squeekers
by squeekers on Aug. 4, 2017 at 5:17 PM

In private schools, go for it. They want conformity anyway.

In public schools, nope. Individuality is the way to go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Unless it is a private school, I am against them. I don't believe in all this conformity and think it does more harm than good.

Quoting Kiwismommy19: I am heavily against. I think kids need that individuality. The argument of "no more fights about what to wear", teach the kid not to fight, give them appropriate choices and let them get dressed. Why should everyone have to be the same because your kid refused to listen to you? The argument that it cuts bullying; teach little snowflake that not everyone will like them or their clothes. And to not be so soft as to let a kid laughing at them ruin things for everyone else. The argument that it saves money; doesn't the kid require X amount of shorts and X amount of pants for school? Last I checked the shirt wasn't cheaper just because it's a blue polo, either way you have to get the same amount of clothes.
Just a few of the reasons I'm against. Where do you stand on the subject? Why?
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 5:18 PM
For-they are less focused on what each is wearing and more on the schoolwork at hand.
EvasMommy326
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 5:19 PM
Doesn't matter to me. I feel like I'll save money cause I'm addicted to buying clothes for her though.
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 5:19 PM

100% For. During my teen years I was both in a uniform freevand a uniformed school, and I would take the uniform anytime. I didn't feel the pressure to have the latest trends and the expensive brands. No bullying because of clothing, no,stress about having to find "the right outfit".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 5:19 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to them if our school decided to. It would cause a lot of arguments over clothes though. Uniforms are usually Polo shirts with slacks, non of which my child can wear without meltdowns. It would be too much of a distraction for him. We are constantly having issues with clothes as is.
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 5:20 PM

im ok with say,khakis and a polo shirt but when you start demanding monogrammed shirts and logos thats ridiculous.wtf has money to waste on logos?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 5:20 PM
For. My sd last year went to a public school that required them. It was fantastic. For me and her!

Most people who've had uniforms are for them. I think that says a lot.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)