Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Community school supplies are pointless

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:42 PM
  • 42 Replies
Is it only my area (rural pa) where there are approximately 26281 different groups or charities that collect school supplies and either distribute them to kids in need or send them straight to the schools?

I honestly don't see how it's possible for someone who *can't afford* school supplies to still send their kid with nothing. Literally all you have ever to do is either make a phone call or go to one of the events. Several events seem to always have too many packs and can't find people to take them.
by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
That's how it is here too. There is no reason for any child to go without.
MysticLove
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I know of at least 4 different places that give out backpacks with school supplies for free and none of them are income based. Anyone can come with their child and your child picks the backpack they want, most of them also offer free haircuts and immunizations during the day. The Child Support office one is the biggest and they usually give away over 1,000 back packs in one day here. (Last year it was 1,500 I think)

81Crystal
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:49 PM
The stores here start donation boxes as soon as the supply list is put in stores. Between that and organizations none of the schools here do community supplies.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:51 PM
I don't care. If buying an extra .50 box of crayons helps a kid at school so be it. School supplies aren't that expensive.
Robin-Christine
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:51 PM
I agree. I also don't like how teachers are saying a red notebook for Math, yellow for Science,..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:53 PM
They'd have to put in effort which is not in their wheelhouse
elzmnsf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this

There are a few here... Ironically, when we lived in a very high COL area, with extraordinarily large disposable incomes, and much fewer low income people, there were TONS of free giveaways. We only live an hour away now, in a low COL area (for california anyhow) and lots and lots of people who need help, but much fewer programs for the school stuff. I feel like some of the churches from the old town should drive 45 minutes up the freeway and do things here if they really want to make an impact.

loquaciousred
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:56 PM
That's isn't the oint. The point is that with so many giveaways there should be no need for communal supplies for the "unfortunate children"

Quoting Anonymous 2: I don't care. If buying an extra .50 box of crayons helps a kid at school so be it. School supplies aren't that expensive.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:56 PM
This. I think that lefties should be allowed their own scissors, though. Otherwise, throw it in the pile with everything else.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I don't care. If buying an extra .50 box of crayons helps a kid at school so be it. School supplies aren't that expensive.
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:58 PM
I don't really think the point is to cover the poor people. It's just easier to toss out a couple boxes of crayons and glue sticks than to have each kid get out personal supplies and keep them straight.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)