• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Communal supplies, brand specific and color specific supplies helps your child's education.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm not going to pretend it helps them learn to share. I'm not going to tell you it helps spread the supplies around to students who can't afford them, (although it does help.)

Teachers have a certain amount of time to teach in a day. They have certain expectations they need to reach to stay on track that ensures the students have received the most "bang for your buck".

If I ask for five wire-bound notebooks or folders in five specific colors, it's not to make your life miserable. It's much more time efficient to say "Please, take out your red notebook and folder for English" then to say "Please take out your English notebook and folder." Color coordination allow a student to find supplies quicker and easier. The faster we can get supplies out, the quicker we get started.

If suggest Dixon or Ticonderoga pencils for students, it's not because I enjoy asking you to pay substatially more for pencils. I promise I get no kick-backs, lol. The pencil sharper is the biggest time waster in class. Cheaper pencils don't sharpen as well, the lead breaks easier and the erasers tend to crumble. Less time wandering back and forth to the pencil sharpener means more time for instruction. (Side notes: Personal pencil sharpeners have been done away with in my district because of self-harm issues. I personally hated them for other reasons.)

If I take your child's markers up on the first day and put them with other students, I'm not hoarding them for a quick high during recess. It's easier and more time efficient to separate them by colors in pencil cups and hand them out to tables as needed. This eliminates dealing with lost markers, dried out markers,  kids who like to take their supplies home and then forget to bring them back and general chaos. We do not have a single project during the year that requires them to have all eight colors at once. I promise there is no rainbow deprivation. :) I did the same thing with the chunky crayons when I taught younger grades.

The request for color specific and brand specific items and the implementation of communal supplies really isn't an attempt to stop lil' Johnny from being able to have the monster trucks notebook, or to spread the supplies to the less fortunate. Uniformity in supplies and communal supplies just makes the day go smoother and allows teachers to use as much time as possible to teach.

Regardless of your feelings on the subject, I hope everyone has a wonderful school year filled with lots of happiness and love of learning! :)

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2017 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2017 at 8:45 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Community supplies increase the risk of diseases spreading during cold and flu season. They also increase the chances of a child being exposed to an allergen. They aren't a good idea.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 8:47 PM

I have been a volunteer in the classsroim for 12 years and never have they done community supplies ever and they still got the job done. 

It's shocking I know.

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 8:50 PM
Communal supplies has never bothered me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry it's not my job as a parent to make it easier for you to do your job.

We kept our own supplies in school and teachers actually did their damned jobs.

This bulllshit is exactly why teachers do NOT deserve raises. Want better pay? DO YOUR DAMED JOB !
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 9:19 PM
My only real issue is that my kids' elementary school (none in middle yet) has a list of supplies by grade and not by teacher. Each year I have purchased everything on the list only to have some things returned unused at the end of the year. It's not THAT big of a deal because their supply lists aren't excessive (they're actually tiny compared to some of the lists I've seen posted here). I would just like to have a more accurate idea of what they need.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
As a school district employee and mom, I disagree.

I Had my kids label notebooks by subject title because it helped them read and write. I bought mechanical pencils starting in 3rd grade. Before that I bought what I wanted and sent a hand held sharpener.

I looked forward to getting my supplies before school started. I loved picking out what I liked. It's those sorts of little things that made me happy. My kids like it too.

I know some people don't provide for their kids and I'm willing to help how I can. I do, so if a teacher doesn't like that my kid has all pink sparkly folders, oh well. My kid can read and will get out the appropriate one when needed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)