Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Health insurance

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
Can you afford it on your own? Or have you try to apply for Medicaid. So I apply for Medicaid for my son and i haven't had luck hearing from them . It's a frustrating thing. I don't know how people lie to the system and they always get away with it and those who really put the truth never get approve!
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:01 AM

My husband is retired military, so we get his insurance that way.  Both of our jobs offer it though and we could afford it, although it would be more expensive than what we currently pay.

Melbornj
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:02 AM
We afford it, thankfully we have never needed help for anything.
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:02 AM
My dh is retired military. So we get insurance through the VA.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:03 AM

I have it through work but if I had to I could get it from the market place but it would be a waste of money from what I understand. The only reason I'd get it would be to avoid the tax penalty. Pointless if you ask me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:06 AM
I also get military.
Can you answer a few questions for me. I have been wondering these for a while now. If you can.
Is this Obama nightmare ever going to play a part you think with TriCare?
Also, do you hear a lot of people complaining about tricare or do you have bad issues with it? I hear so many complaints over the years, my insurance is great. I couldn't ask for anything better.
I know if we got it through my husbands job, it would be like 2000.00 month, but really crappy insurance- if we ever have to go with that insurance it's going to suck! Affording it isn't the issue- having crappy insurance with a family of 5 is just a problem.

Quoting lwalker270:

My husband is retired military, so we get his insurance that way.  Both of our jobs offer it though and we could afford it, although it would be more expensive than what we currently pay.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:07 AM

For most of us its unaffordable on our own.  Most people depend on their employer providing a health insurance benefit.  obamacare made health insurance astronomically high for those of us who didn't qualify for any subsidy.  Hopefully the repeal and replace will make it more affordable

alexmom529
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:11 AM

I pay about $134 for health, vision, and dental for me, my husband and our son.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:12 AM
We pay for our own insurance. About 14 years ago, I was on Medicaid. Hearing nothing doesn't mean you aren't approved. It just means that they are swamped with applications and appointments. In my state, you could show up as soon as they opened for a stand by appointment if you needed it in a hurry or missed your date.
SpiritedWitch
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:13 AM

We don't qualify for Medicaid and yes, I pay for my insurance and my husband has Medicare + a supplemental insurance. 

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:32 AM

I don't think it will.  He's only been retired four years, but for us nothing has changed (other than a slight increase in premiums and copays).   We're able to see the same civilian doctors we saw before he retired.  

I have heard a lot of people complain about Tricare, but honestly, we've been happy with the care we've received overall.  I've run across some crappy military doctors, but I've also run across some crappy civilian doctors.  My son broke his arm a couple years ago and we took him to the ER and then to the pediatric orthopedic clinic at the naval hospital and we didn't pay a dime.  Same when DH had to be hospitalized for a blood clot.  The care they received was phenomenal.  Both my kids were born in military hospitals and I had a great experience both times.  So I think there will be good and bad with any insurance and for what we pay out-of-pocket, you can't beat it.  

We did go with the dental insurance through my husband's employer because there was more coverage for less cost but in retrospect, I'm not sure it's a significant difference.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I also get military. Can you answer a few questions for me. I have been wondering these for a while now. If you can. Is this Obama nightmare ever going to play a part you think with TriCare? Also, do you hear a lot of people complaining about tricare or do you have bad issues with it? I hear so many complaints over the years, my insurance is great. I couldn't ask for anything better. I know if we got it through my husbands job, it would be like 2000.00 month, but really crappy insurance- if we ever have to go with that insurance it's going to suck! Affording it isn't the issue- having crappy insurance with a family of 5 is just a problem.
Quoting lwalker270:

The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)