Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your kid has ADHD, is your child medicated?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 95 Replies
What's meds? Or therapy?

My son is doing therapy & was just prescribed, darn forgot the name.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:43 AM
Yes. 5MG Ritalin. Behavior therapy, speech, occupational therapy, and psychical therapy.
He's 7. We end behavioral therapy after this year :)
Vetboymom2
by Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Yes, he is on Stratera.  He is also Autisic so he gets behavioral therapy for those issues.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:44 AM
During the school year, yes. He's on Concerta
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:45 AM
How's he doing now? Do you remember when you saw a difference in his behavior?

Quoting Anonymous 2: Yes. 5MG Ritalin. Behavior therapy, speech, occupational therapy, and psychical therapy.
SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:46 AM
No but it's tamed down a lot as he has gotten older. He's 22 and in college and has never been medicated. He did see a therapist when he was younger to learn coping skills and ways to manage it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:49 AM
He's always been my wild child... since he was about a year... and I don't mean just acting like a normal hyper baby/kid etc. but around 3 it heightened we got the diagnosis at 4 didn't Medicate till 6 though once it was effecting how he socializes and how he was learning then we stepped in with medication. Before then just therapy.

Quoting Anonymous 1: How's he doing now? Do you remember when you saw a difference in his behavior?

Quoting Anonymous 2: Yes. 5MG Ritalin. Behavior therapy, speech, occupational therapy, and psychical therapy.
Meowmuffin
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:50 AM

My child is not medicated or in therapy unless you call fishing, archery, running outside, chores, and physical labor therapy but it does help a lot. I believe ADHD is really just a child's way of saying they are not getting enough physical stimulation and that there is something really wrong going on at home. My ex was an alcoholic who was neglecting DS while DS was living with him. DS already had ADHD like behavior but it wasn't a problem until he went to live with Dad. 3 years of living with Dad and DS came back to me with real problems. So we talked it out. I took him out of school and started homeschooling him. DH and I started getting out in nature and he hasn't needed any meds. He's been great he is 17 now and no more signs of ADHD. It's amazing what stability, activity, and communication can do. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:50 AM
My son takes Ritalin. He isn't in therapy. His school is a private school for special needs children, so I'd almost say everything they do is therapeutic. He used to be in physical, speech, music, and aqua therapy but stopped at age 7.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:51 AM
Yep. 10mg of Adderall and weekly therapy to learn better coping skills so one day he won't have to rely on the meds so much.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2017 at 1:37 PM
Same here. My baby is 6. We managed those 2 yrs butnit got to the point where it was out of control. I'm so happy we finally got help. It's been a hard road

Quoting Anonymous 2: He's always been my wild child... since he was about a year... and I don't mean just acting like a normal hyper baby/kid etc. but around 3 it heightened we got the diagnosis at 4 didn't Medicate till 6 though once it was effecting how he socializes and how he was learning then we stepped in with medication. Before then just therapy.

Quoting Anonymous 1: How's he doing now? Do you remember when you saw a difference in his behavior?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)