Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

your car isn't my problem.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

my mil is seriously trying to guilt us into driving 8 hours to have our baby in a shithole hospital near her and the rest of dh's family. their excuse is that their car won't make it up to where we are...which is bullshit, it's a brand new car. so I suggested renting a car like my mom will have to because her boyfriends work truck is old and needs to stay at work. nope, they can't possibly do that. the only way around their car issue is us driving down to see them. yet all my friends who also have shitty cars are finding ways up here, my mother is finding a way up here and they have a brand new car that supposedly won't make it up here and they can't find a way to get up here. 

they just don't want to make an effort, which is why I chose to move up here. dh now sees that everyone else around us will make an effort but his family refuses and makes excuses, even though there are options. if they don't come up then they wait until Easter next year to see dd when we make the trip down there.

and before anyone says maybe they can't afford to rent a car. some places rent cars for $12 a day. they can rent one where they live, and drop it off at the same rental car place up here. then rent one up here and drive home. it'll only be $30 at the most.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:41 PM
Their loss. No way would I be driving 8 hours to the hospital and then home with a newborn and still sore.
Famousglm714
by Gina on Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:42 PM

She's nuts and I wouldn't even entertain that idea. If she can't make it, oh well. Car rental is not that much like you said. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:44 PM

yeah im not even going to be in a car for at least a month lol

Quoting Anonymous 2: Their loss. No way would I be driving 8 hours to the hospital and then home with a newborn and still sore.

Canadiana
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:44 PM

If they really have this much entitlement, then I would assume this isn't the only behavior like this that they display, and I would therefore think this wouldn't surprise you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:45 PM

they came and saw us with our ds and we lived 3 hours away then.

Quoting Canadiana:

If they really have this much entitlement, then I would assume this isn't the only behavior like this that they display, and I would therefore think this wouldn't surprise you?

Canadiana
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:47 PM

So this behavior isn't typical of them?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Canadiana:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:47 PM

not when a grandchild is being born no.

Quoting Canadiana:

So this behavior isn't typical of them?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Canadiana:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Really?

I don't understand why so many women on this site just can't say no and immediately disengage in any further conversation about that specific topic.  I mean, she asked (as dumb as it was, she asked) your only response would be no.  You don't care and neither would I why she wants that her way.  Say no that isn't going to happen and end the conversation.  Why even stress about  Why even talk about it.  Saying NO is for more than drugs. 

holyhell

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:48 PM
I agree that it's a ridiculous request; you're well within your rights to put your foot down.

That said, most rental places charge heavily for excessive mileage. I tried renting a car to drive cross country bc I didn't want to put the miles on my own car 😂

Anywho, congrats!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:50 PM
You no way in hell , would I give birth by choice in unfamiliar hospital and without my regular dr. If your crossing state lines the hospital may not be in network. Is she willing to pay the hospital bill
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)