Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's not part of the lease

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this
My husband and I have a house that we inherited through his aunt. It is a pretty standard three bedroom house but it also has a separate over the garage apartment. They are set up as two complete units in fact they even have separate utilities. We we are renting the house out. The lady we are renting it to is a single mom with three teenagers. We were very clear when she signed the lease the garage apartment is not part of the lease and that anytime we could choose to rent it to someone else. We rent it out for $550 a month but we offered it to her for $250 if she wanted to rent it out in addition to the house. Honestly it's kind of hard to find a renter for it so I would rather get something for it then possibly get nothing for it. She declined. Well a friend of my cousin need her place to live and can afford the rent. So we worked out a deal. I let the current tenant of the house know that somebody would be moving into the apartment. She asked who it was and I told her it's a single guy in his early twenties. She told me that I can't do that because she has teenage girls and she doesn't feel comfortable having somebody live there like that. She demanded to know his information so she could run a background check on him. I told her I'm not obligated to give her that information. I also told her that it's no different than if she was renting an apartment and the apartment complex moved someone into the apartments to Hers. As far as safety goes there is a locking door on both sides of their places that connect to the two places. So both of them would have to have the doors unlocked for them to go in between. The apartment has his own entrance that goes to the outside. So it's not like he will ever be in her home.

Anyway he moved in on Saturday and she has been calling me complaining that every single night he has had friends over and she can hear them and she doesn't like it. I told her that unfortunately that's part of renting a place where you're sharing a wall with someone else. As long as they shut it down by line on weeknights and 11 on weekends which is the north ordinance in our area there is nothing that I can or will do about it. She told me that if I don't straighten him out she will not renew with us in 4 months. Which honestly I don't mind. It is easy finding somebody willing to rent the house it's harder to find somebody willing to rent the apartment and as it happens my cousin and his wife are already asking about renting the house
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:23 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:40 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:42 PM

Ok?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:44 PM
Just a vent. It's crazy at this woman thinks she can make demands on property that she neither owns nor is even renting

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Ok?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:46 PM
You need to correct all your incorrectly auto-corrected words. :)

Takes a bit of effort to read that.
SaskMummy
by Mandy on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:47 PM
She'll renew she was just being a bitch
Ms_Smock
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:48 PM
Sweet
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:48 PM
Will you have an easy time renting a house that connects to a bachelor pad apartment?
Ms_Smock
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:48 PM
Don't have her Renew lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:50 PM
As I said my cousin and his wife would like to move in

Quoting littlesippycup: Will you have an easy time renting a house that connects to a bachelor pad apartment?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)