Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is the school liable?

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:30 PM
  • 18 Replies
Hey, so I'm new here and I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but I want your opinions on this story my niece told us at dinner last night. I'll try to keep it short.
Okay, so my niece's friend plays tennis, he put his bag in his locker during practice and locked it. (Students have to provide their own locks, which he did). Two people saw him lock it. After practice he gets back to the locker room, the lock on his locker is open, his wallet, (with his debit card, driver's license, student id, etc. in it) and half of his notebooks are missing from his bag.
His parents are pissed and are looking into suing the school. There aren't any cameras in the locker room, so they have no idea who did it. Can the school be held responsible for his stuff?
by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:38 PM
No I would guess he closed it but did not actually lock it .
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:40 PM

They're thinking of suing the school because someone stole the kid's stuff?!  Unless they cut the lock, chances are he didn't lock it or whoever stole it knew the combination.

sheetsnthings
by CasualSprinter on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:41 PM
That's what I think too, but my niece says this kid swears up and down he locked it

Quoting lucky2Beeme: No I would guess he closed it but did not actually lock it .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:42 PM
No. The school isn't liable.

That happens a lot here.
sheetsnthings
by CasualSprinter on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:43 PM
Parents at niece's school kind of have a flair for the dramatic, once a group of like twenty parents got a teacher fired because she held them late to lecture them about behavior and they missed the bus.

Quoting lwalker270:

They're thinking of suing the school because someone stole the kid's stuff?!  Unless they cut the lock, chances are he didn't lock it or whoever stole it knew the combination.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:43 PM
Nope. There's a precedent for this kind of thing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:44 PM
The school isn't liable. This is no different than a cell phone being stole from a backpack or Pokémon cards stolen from inside a desk. Anything you bring to school is at your own risk, which is why schools ask that anything of value be left at home.
K3412
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:45 PM
The school isn't responsible. The parents and students likely signed something that said just that. They won't get anywhere with their lawsuit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:46 PM
That happened to me. I locked my lock at least I thought I did... when I got out of practice all the money I had for my softball uniform and other fees had been stolen. I cried so much because my family was poor and it took a lot for my parents to find the money for me to play softball.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:47 PM
No, not liable and II'mm sure they signed paperwork to this effect.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)