Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pretty sure they wanted to steal my baby

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 74 Replies
I was grocery shopping the other day with my two youngest kids, dd 6 and ds 8 months. We were walking through the aisles and in one a guy was looking at me and the kids and complemented me on how cute my baby was. I said thank you and figured it was just a little flirting. Well a few aisles later I saw him with his wife/gf/whatever and she had a baby carrier on with the hood up. I was like oh, he has a baby, that's why. I felt a little silly forvthinking he had been flirting with me haha. Well we finish in the store and walk out to the parking lot. We live in the desert so it's like 110+ outside so it's a habit of mine to remote start my car as soon as we get close enough. I did that, grabbed my baby out of the cart and put him in the car where the a.c. was on and had my dd hop in too while I unloaded. I pulled the cart next to my ds' door since I was loading the groceries in the passenger seat (stroller takes up my truck space). At that point I notice the same guy is just a few spaces away, staring at me. It made me a little uncomfortable but I just continued unloading the groceries. As I'm finishing up he starts walking in my direction. I close the door and lock them since I still have the keys since I remote started my car. I had parked next to the cart return so I walk around the back of my car to the driver side to put the cart away and I see his girl a few feet away in the opposite direction of my car. I quickly got in my car and locked the doors. As I drove off I noticed that there were no legs or arms sticking out of the baby carrier so I looked closer and there was no baby in there! It was like white towels or something! I was like Wtf is going on?!? It seemed really sketchy and I don't know if I'm crazy but I really feel like they might have been trying to steal my baby. I feel like if I hadn't put him in the car first while I unloaded groceries they might have tried to take him when my back was turned. Such a scary thought!
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
waspy101
by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
So then you called and reported it?
Ms_Smock
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:46 PM
What is up with all these steal my baby/kids posts all the time? I see them I Facebook too. Very suspicious
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:48 PM
No I didn't because I just got a weird feeling and they didn't actually try anything. What could I have told them? That I thought people were following me and maybe trying to steal my baby but they never actually did anything beyond say he was cute?

Quoting waspy101: So then you called and reported it?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:49 PM
I have seen them too but kind of thought people were exaggerating or something. This is my fourth child and nothing like this had ever happened to me before. I'd be skeptical hearing this story if it hadn't actually happened to me.

Quoting Ms_Smock: What is up with all these steal my baby/kids posts all the time? I see them I Facebook too. Very suspicious
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:50 PM
2 moms liked this
I do wonder if this is happening more and more because people are getting desperate for $ due to the overwhelming drug epidemic? Always go with your gut and don't let your guard down. I'm glad you're all safe. I'd rather be a bit paranoid than to have something terrible happen to my children.
sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:53 PM
3 moms liked this

They probably thought you saw them shoplifting and were trying to figure out if you were reporting them. 

There is a very very very remote chance that they wanted to kidnap your baby. Very remote. Like you would Powerball before that would happen remote. And all of the ridiculous Facebook posts are fueling these fears. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:55 PM
I have no idea why it seems to be more frequent but it really does. I have always been skeptical of stories like this thinking people are paranoid or just over exaggerating but now that it happened to me I feel bad for thinking that. Like you said it was one of those gut feelings that I had telling me something was off.
Thank you and I'm very glad nothing actually happened and we are all safe too. I will definitely be even more vigilant now than I was before. I'm just shocked that this happened in broad daylight, it was 3:00pm.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I do wonder if this is happening more and more because people are getting desperate for $ due to the overwhelming drug epidemic? Always go with your gut and don't let your guard down. I'm glad you're all safe. I'd rather be a bit paranoid than to have something terrible happen to my children.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:58 PM

I would have let them see my taser, baseball bat and lead pipe that I keep in my car.

Did  you call the cops and report their suspicious activity. Im pretty sure the grocery store would have video surveillance of them since they were in the store

kcangel63
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:58 PM
I got anxiety just reading this. You might put an alert out on some local swap shop pages if you're on fb.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:58 PM
I haven't seen many Facebook posts about this because I very rarely ever get on and I mostly have older family members on there lol but things do get passed around like wildfire on there.
Your suspicion makes a lot of sense! I hadn't thought of that.
I feel like it's crazy to think they were plotting to steal him too but it was the only thing I could come up with for the way they were acting.

Quoting sheramom4:

They probably thought you saw them shoplifting and were trying to figure out if you were reporting them. 

There is a very very very remote chance that they wanted to kidnap your baby. Very remote. Like you would Powerball before that would happen remote. And all of the ridiculous Facebook posts are fueling these fears. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)