Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not allowed to say no to their kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 183 Replies
I'm a nanny for a family with 4 kids 5 and under. I'm not allowed to say the word no or tell them not to do something. If i have to tell them no or not to do it, I can't just say that. I have to find a way to use positive methods in getting them to stop

It's so frustrating.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:47 PM
10 moms liked this
Do it and die!
Cajunqueenslsg8
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:48 PM
I like this one. Lol

Quoting Anonymous 2: Do it and die!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:49 PM
2 moms liked this
I have to do that at work its not hard to be like "oh bobbie i see you want to climb on the table lets find a safer place to climb." Or "we use soft touches hitting hurts"
WildWonder
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:49 PM
I worked for a Headstart preschool in college and we had the same rule. We couldn't say no or don't do that. We had to ask them if they were making a good choice. We also couldn't tell them their actions made us mad, we had to tell them it made us sad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this
That's exactly what I have to do as well in regards to asking if it's a good choice. I get it for preschoolers but I'm not even allowed to tell their 1 yo no. She looks at me like I'm an idiot if I ask her if pouring the dog food on her head is a good idea.

I actually brought this very example up to my boss. She said in that case I shouldn't say anything and should just redirect her which works 90% of the time but in this case, no would have been helpful. She was playing on the kitchen floor while I made her a bottle when she went for the dog food. I couldn't leave her in the living room because of one of the older brothers has jealousy issues and takes them out on her. He can't be left alone with her. In this case, redirecting her means she started crying for the dog food as I picked her up away from it. So then I'm trying to make a bottle while I have a 1 year old trying to wiggle her way to the dog food.

Sometimes it just doesn't work imo.

Quoting WildWonder: I worked for a Headstart preschool in college and we had the same rule. We couldn't say no or don't do that. We had to ask them if they were making a good choice. We also couldn't tell them their actions made us mad, we had to tell them it made us sad.
ranchmama21
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:59 PM
32 moms liked this
This is why new adults are whiney when they hear the word no.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 9, 2017 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this
And how's it working out?
Rosehawk
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2017 at 12:01 AM
10 moms liked this

Fuck that shit! I'd find another job ASAP.

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Aug. 9, 2017 at 12:02 AM
2 moms liked this
I'd quit and the parents would know exactly why and what I think of their rule.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 9, 2017 at 12:03 AM
Not so good. The kids are really really bad.

Quoting Anonymous 4: And how's it working out?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)