Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child in my class has an epic food allergy list.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This boy I have in my class this year is allergic to soy, shellfish, eggs, dairy, gluten, citrus, potato, tree nuts, peanuts, strawberry, and apparently artificial food dye.  

I'm left wondering what the heck this kid can eat.  I sent a list of treats I give out to the parents and they crossed all of it off.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 11, 2017 at 10:49 PM
Replies (271-277):
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 13, 2017 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

If he was only allergic to one food dye, sure. But how many kids treats are there that are free of egg, soy, dairy, gluten, nuts,and  peanuts? And many commercial treats may not actually contain these ingredients, but are made in the same equipment other products containing these ingredients are made, which can leave trace amounts that could trigger an episode.

Quoting Anonymous 75: Well fyi, food dye is NOT necessary so actually there are many many foods the kid can eat.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

This boy I have in my class this year is allergic to soy, shellfish, eggs, dairy, gluten, citrus, potato, tree nuts, peanuts, strawberry, and apparently artificial food dye.  

I'm left wondering what the heck this kid can eat.  I sent a list of treats I give out to the parents and they crossed all of it off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 75 on Aug. 14, 2017 at 12:23 AM
Apples, carrots, celery, peaches, watermelon, just to name a few.

I can also get fruit snacks free of all those things.

You act like fake food is all there is to eat and kids will only eat fake foods.

Quoting momto2boys973:

If he was only allergic to one food dye, sure. But how many kids treats are there that are free of egg, soy, dairy, gluten, nuts,and  peanuts? And many commercial treats may not actually contain these ingredients, but are made in the same equipment other products containing these ingredients are made, which can leave trace amounts that could trigger an episode.

Quoting Anonymous 75: Well fyi, food dye is NOT necessary so actually there are many many foods the kid can eat.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 50 on Aug. 14, 2017 at 7:59 PM
Holy crap. Just peas? I find this amazing for some reason lol.

Quoting travelingmom60:

I'm allergic to peas also & have been since birth; I'm almost 57. If I eat them in any form ( even powdered in a food), my throat swells shut in a matter of minutes

Quoting Anonymous 50: Parents over react I swear. Anyone ever hear a kid being allergic to peas? Yep peas? I have a student allergic to damn peas lol.

travelingmom60
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 8:36 PM

No unfortunantly I'm allergic to pineapples too ... alot of people don't realize what pea powder can be in either so I cook everything from scratch. 

Quoting Anonymous 50: Holy crap. Just peas? I find this amazing for some reason lol.
Quoting travelingmom60:

I'm allergic to peas also & have been since birth; I'm almost 57. If I eat them in any form ( even powdered in a food), my throat swells shut in a matter of minutes

Quoting Anonymous 50: Parents over react I swear. Anyone ever hear a kid being allergic to peas? Yep peas? I have a student allergic to damn peas lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 52 on Aug. 14, 2017 at 8:56 PM
So a class full of other children should be inconvenienced by one kid? Handicap ramps and elevators don't negatively affect everyone in the class. Wheelchairs don't but this could.

I have a huge problem with food accommodations actually.

Quoting Anonymous 61: I love your ignorance.

If the parents request a 594 under the ADA accommodations must be done or they will be in violation of federal law.

You can make a food free classroom and wipe hands before entering.

It's not that hard.

Quoting Anonymous 52: I would absolutely not make accommodations for him without a note AND besides letting him sit alone I wouldn't limit foods other children eat or bring in.

It's not the classes fault what the fuck are the other kids supposed to do not eat?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 61 on Aug. 14, 2017 at 11:30 PM
You can whine all you want. It's a dissability covered under the ADA, it's a federal protection.

You have issues with your snowflake not being able to eat what he likes in the classroom? You can homeschool.

Stop being an ignorant bitch.

Quoting Anonymous 52: So a class full of other children should be inconvenienced by one kid? Handicap ramps and elevators don't negatively affect everyone in the class. Wheelchairs don't but this could.

I have a huge problem with food accommodations actually.

Quoting Anonymous 61: I love your ignorance.

If the parents request a 594 under the ADA accommodations must be done or they will be in violation of federal law.

You can make a food free classroom and wipe hands before entering.

It's not that hard.

Quoting Anonymous 52: I would absolutely not make accommodations for him without a note AND besides letting him sit alone I wouldn't limit foods other children eat or bring in.

It's not the classes fault what the fuck are the other kids supposed to do not eat?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 76 on Aug. 14, 2017 at 11:50 PM
Sounds like he can't have anything processed. Just plain fruits or veggies. At least he is forced to eat healthy. I would keep the food allergy kids at one table. Poor kid, how does he eat around others.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)