Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sorry DH but I am not going to get you another car and you can't use mine!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 136 Replies

My husband rear ended someone. It was a pretty large SUV. It cost $1500 to fix what was needed on their car which wasnt too bad but DH's car is totaled

I always told him to get insurance on it (it isnt required). He figured since it was a beat up old car there wasnt a point. 

Well now that it is totaled and he doesnt have a car to drive he is regretting it. He wants me to use my bonus I am getting from work to buy a cheap car outright.  I flat out told him no. That money is going to be used for other things that he had no problem with before but now he is saying that it isnt "that important" 

Then he asked if I could just use my car and I can go without one. I dont drive as much as he does but when I do drive I go farther. I have to go 2 hours away for work at least 2-3 times a week. He said we can work it out so we can both use it but I am not going to do that. That is so much stress and effort and I dont want to be limited. I'm not going to be stuck at home on my days off because he has the car or not able to go run errands because he is using it. 

I told him he cant just have my car. That he needs to find one he can make monthly payments on or something. He doesnt want to do that but he could afford it.

He should have just had insurance and none of this would be an issue. I told him to get it so many times but he said it "wasnt a big deal". I wish he still had that same outlook now.  Sorry I just needed to vent 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 12, 2017 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 12, 2017 at 1:52 PM
I've never understood the few states that don't require insurance. What would he have done if someone was injured?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2017 at 2:02 PM

Their health insurance would cover most things but technically when you register a car there is some sort of coverage for the other party when it comes to injury also. That is automatic and you dont pay for it seperately or anything. It doesnt cover any damage to vehicles or anything 

Quoting Anonymous 2: I've never understood the few states that don't require insurance. What would he have done if someone was injured?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 12, 2017 at 2:06 PM
14 moms liked this
I've never understood being so divided and combative in a marriage. Are the two of you not a team? You really feel okay treating him this way?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2017 at 2:09 PM

Yes we are a team but that doesnt mean I need to give him my car or buy him a new one because he doesnt want to buy one himself. 

I dont think it is okay for him to say everything we agreed to use my bonus money on in the past all of a sudden doesnt count

Neither one of us are mad or anything. I'm a bit frustrated about the whole thing but it is okay to be frustrated sometimes 

Quoting Anonymous 3: I've never understood being so divided and combative in a marriage. Are the two of you not a team? You really feel okay treating him this way?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 12, 2017 at 2:11 PM

He needs to just go get one and make monthly payments.  Telling you to go without a car or that you two will somehow work out sharing a car is ridiculous.  He should have been an adult and had insurance even though it wasn't required. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 12, 2017 at 2:13 PM
6 moms liked this
What a weird relationship. It was an accident. He didn't have insurance. Guess he learned he should. Get another damn car and stop acting so childish like a kid that flaunts their icecream when another kid drops theirs. Grow up
poietes
by Laura on Aug. 12, 2017 at 2:13 PM
3 moms liked this

What a great marriage you guys have. *eye roll* I will never get the "my money, your money" and not supporting your spouse. In our home the cars are all of ours and insurance is under all of our names. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 12, 2017 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

wher do you live that car insurance isnt required? I thought it was required everywhere?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 12, 2017 at 2:14 PM
Guess it's time for him to grow up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 12, 2017 at 2:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Okay, first, he's not a victim.  Second, I'm pretty sure her "treating him this way" is a response to his ridiculous behavior.  I've never understood treating men like any stupid and immature thing they do is okay but I do understand that is why we have a bunch of whiny man children in the world today.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I've never understood being so divided and combative in a marriage. Are the two of you not a team? You really feel okay treating him this way?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)