Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sorry DH but I am not going to get you another car and you can't use mine!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My husband rear ended someone. It was a pretty large SUV. It cost $1500 to fix what was needed on their car which wasnt too bad but DH's car is totaled

I always told him to get insurance on it (it isnt required). He figured since it was a beat up old car there wasnt a point. 

Well now that it is totaled and he doesnt have a car to drive he is regretting it. He wants me to use my bonus I am getting from work to buy a cheap car outright.  I flat out told him no. That money is going to be used for other things that he had no problem with before but now he is saying that it isnt "that important" 

Then he asked if I could just use my car and I can go without one. I dont drive as much as he does but when I do drive I go farther. I have to go 2 hours away for work at least 2-3 times a week. He said we can work it out so we can both use it but I am not going to do that. That is so much stress and effort and I dont want to be limited. I'm not going to be stuck at home on my days off because he has the car or not able to go run errands because he is using it. 

I told him he cant just have my car. That he needs to find one he can make monthly payments on or something. He doesnt want to do that but he could afford it.

He should have just had insurance and none of this would be an issue. I told him to get it so many times but he said it "wasnt a big deal". I wish he still had that same outlook now.  Sorry I just needed to vent 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 12, 2017 at 1:50 PM
Replies (131-136):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 15, 2017 at 9:57 PM
We do act like a couple

Quoting Anonymous 30: I just can't deal with so many couples really not acting like couples.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

My husband rear ended someone. It was a pretty large SUV. It cost $1500 to fix what was needed on their car which wasnt too bad but DH's car is totaled

I always told him to get insurance on it (it isnt required). He figured since it was a beat up old car there wasnt a point. 

Well now that it is totaled and he doesnt have a car to drive he is regretting it. He wants me to use my bonus I am getting from work to buy a cheap car outright.  I flat out told him no. That money is going to be used for other things that he had no problem with before but now he is saying that it isnt "that important" 

Then he asked if I could just use my car and I can go without one. I dont drive as much as he does but when I do drive I go farther. I have to go 2 hours away for work at least 2-3 times a week. He said we can work it out so we can both use it but I am not going to do that. That is so much stress and effort and I dont want to be limited. I'm not going to be stuck at home on my days off because he has the car or not able to go run errands because he is using it. 

I told him he cant just have my car. That he needs to find one he can make monthly payments on or something. He doesnt want to do that but he could afford it.

He should have just had insurance and none of this would be an issue. I told him to get it so many times but he said it "wasnt a big deal". I wish he still had that same outlook now.  Sorry I just needed to vent 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Aug. 15, 2017 at 10:00 PM
I don't know your area and fyi sometimes you have to travel outside your surrounding area.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Go ahead and find me a good reliable car in my area for that price.

Quoting Anonymous 30: If you get junk for $7000 you are doing something wrong.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

It will be around $7,000

Any car he would get for that would still be a piece of junk. Plus our appliances are old and came with the house. The fridge sucks so bad that it freezes everything and the freezer barely freezes anything, the dish washer leaks, and our dryer hasnt worked in over 6 months. The only thing that is okay is the washing machine but it was never really great to begin with 

Quoting Anonymous 28: So how much is this bonus? You said your getting all new appliances for kitchen and washer and dryer as well as going on holiday. Your looking at What 7-8k? You can't get a reliable car for that??
Also yes my DH used had to use my car for work before. As well as I bought him a truck it off my own savings I had before we got together. So yes I would get him a car with the bonus

Quoting Anonymous 1:

100% yes. I think getting a nice newer car with a warranty would be so much better than a POS junker like I would be able to afford with my bonus 

Quoting Anonymous 22: So making payments monthly makes more sense to you ?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 15, 2017 at 10:02 PM
I am betting I live in much higher cost of living state than you do.

$7k would be enough for a POS car probably 10+ years old

Quoting Anonymous 30: I don't know your area and fyi sometimes you have to travel outside your surrounding area.
Quoting Anonymous 1: Go ahead and find me a good reliable car in my area for that price.
Quoting Anonymous 30: If you get junk for $7000 you are doing something wrong.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

It will be around $7,000

Any car he would get for that would still be a piece of junk. Plus our appliances are old and came with the house. The fridge sucks so bad that it freezes everything and the freezer barely freezes anything, the dish washer leaks, and our dryer hasnt worked in over 6 months. The only thing that is okay is the washing machine but it was never really great to begin with 

Quoting Anonymous 28: So how much is this bonus? You said your getting all new appliances for kitchen and washer and dryer as well as going on holiday. Your looking at What 7-8k? You can't get a reliable car for that??

Also yes my DH used had to use my car for work before. As well as I bought him a truck it off my own savings I had before we got together. So yes I would get him a car with the bonus

Quoting Anonymous 1:

100% yes. I think getting a nice newer car with a warranty would be so much better than a POS junker like I would be able to afford with my bonus 

Quoting Anonymous 22: So making payments monthly makes more sense to you ?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Aug. 15, 2017 at 10:04 PM
No, couples are a team, work together, compromise, help each other, not treat each other like assholes.

Quoting Anonymous 1: We do act like a couple

Quoting Anonymous 30: I just can't deal with so many couples really not acting like couples.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 15, 2017 at 10:09 PM
We do all of those things. Just because I wouldn't give him my car or use my bonus doesn't mean we didn't work together, compromise, or help each other

Dh has a new car now and everything is fine

Quoting Anonymous 30: No, couples are a team, work together, compromise, help each other, not treat each other like assholes.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Aug. 15, 2017 at 11:17 PM
My opinion has nothing to do with you not buying him a car.

Quoting Anonymous 1: We do all of those things. Just because I wouldn't give him my car or use my bonus doesn't mean we didn't work together, compromise, or help each other

Dh has a new car now and everything is fine

Quoting Anonymous 30: No, couples are a team, work together, compromise, help each other, not treat each other like assholes.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)