• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD. Dangerous driver.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
I have a relative who is in her 80's, had many surgeries on her right knee and it never healed right. She trips all the time, the last one was 2 days ago and my dad spent 1 hour helping her get up because she right leg was kind of useless.

She drives. She speeds like a demon, never uses her side mirrors and changes lanes without looking.

She drove off a 4th floor parking garage (my guess is she confused the break for the gas) and a tree broke her fall and thankfully didn't get injured.

I'm afraid she'd get into a car accident and hurt someone, we had talk to her family and their answer is: "God will protect her and he is watching over us".

I'm thinking of calling the non emergency number if the PD in her town and report her hoping they will take away her driver license.

What are your thoughts or what would you do?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Call the DMV and explain everything.  They will mandate she come in for a driving test or she will lose her license. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:39 PM
The police cant do anything until she causes an accident. Call adult protective services. They can evaluate the situation and determine if she is capable of driving or is a danger to herself and others. If She is a danger then can start court proceedings to have her license revoked
marmie41
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:41 PM
We looked into that option, calling police to revoke her DL, fur MIL. Was told by police chief the can not legally revoke her DL. The family would have to do that. Also told us to get a letter from her Dr. stating her mental capacity of lack there of to send to fhe DMV.

You need to check your state laws to see what you csn legally do to have her DL revoked. Just remember revoking her DL does not guarantee she won't drive her car.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:51 PM
They follow those types of rules, they just think they are 20yo

Quoting marmie41: We looked into that option, calling police to revoke her DL, fur MIL. Was told by police chief the can not legally revoke her DL. The family would have to do that. Also told us to get a letter from her Dr. stating her mental capacity of lack there of to send to fhe DMV.

You need to check your state laws to see what you csn legally do to have her DL revoked. Just remember revoking her DL does not guarantee she won't drive her car.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:52 PM
Thanks. I'll look into that.

Quoting Anonymous 2: The police cant do anything until she causes an accident. Call adult protective services. They can evaluate the situation and determine if she is capable of driving or is a danger to herself and others. If She is a danger then can start court proceedings to have her license revoked
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:52 PM
Thanks. I'll look into that also.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Call the DMV and explain everything.  They will mandate she come in for a driving test or she will lose her license. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:54 PM
You need to call and talk to her doctor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:57 PM
Her husband is a doctor and he handles all of her medical things. He's a very respected member of the medical community there.

Quoting Anonymous 3: You need to call and talk to her doctor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 12, 2017 at 9:05 PM
Yeah....He is entirely unethical which makes him a shitty doctor

Quoting Anonymous 1: Her husband is a doctor and he handles all of her medical things. He's a very respected member of the medical community there.

Quoting Anonymous 3: You need to call and talk to her doctor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 12, 2017 at 9:13 PM
Like everyone else is saying....talk to her Dr. It's just too bad her Dr is her husband.

I had a friend who developed an uncontrolled seizure disorder in her 30s. Her Dr revoked her driving license. The kicker is in our state the driver has to go to the DMV to sign paperwork and turn in their license. She never did so unless she gets pulled over or in an accident she still had a license. At least until she has to renew buy licenses are good for years now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)