• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids are going to be latchkey kids! Suggestions?

Posted by   + Show Post
My kids are going to be letting themselves in the apartment after school. They are 8 and 9. The school is literally next door. They get home at 230 and i get home at 330. How can i help them remember their keys?
by on Aug. 12, 2017 at 10:49 PM
Replies (191-196):
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Aug. 14, 2017 at 6:24 AM
Its not their families but every school my kids has went to has gotten out at 320. I dont get of work until 300

Quoting SweetPea2004: How is it the schools fault that it conflicts with your work schedule?

Quoting silverdawn99: I work full time. I won't be made to feel guilty because of the schools dumbass schedule

Quoting Anonymous 3: Well you could be a parent and watch your kids
SweetPea2004
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 8:27 AM
So? Even if 3:20 worked for you it might not work for those who get off at 5. So they pay for extend a care or something similar. All 42 elementaries in my city release at 2:55 (prior to this year 2:45).

I think 8 & 9 is old enough to be alone an hour if they are responsible.

Quoting silverdawn99: Its not their families but every school my kids has went to has gotten out at 320. I dont get of work until 300

Quoting SweetPea2004: How is it the schools fault that it conflicts with your work schedule?

Quoting silverdawn99: I work full time. I won't be made to feel guilty because of the schools dumbass schedule

SweetPea2004
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 8:29 AM
They are actually not early if she looks nation wide. It is why programs like extend a care exhist, I agreed with letting stay alone for an hour.

Quoting Libby22: Where did I say that?

I said 2:30 is very early. I was empathizing with her frustration, especially considering the school district changed the time from previous years 🙄

Quoting SweetPea2004: So an entire school district should bend to work hours? Which hours?

Quoting Libby22: 2:30 is very early for those with jobs.

Quoting Anonymous 3: The school's schedule a dumb because it doesn't accommodate your work schedule?

SweetPea2004
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 8:34 AM
So we have softened and dumbed down our children over the last several decades gotcha. Sounds like why we have so many college students unable to cope with leaving mom and dad. They even need special classes to help them cope with college.

I fully believe children should get to be children, that said they have to be taught to be independent. They also need to be taught how to deal with emergency situations, one hour is a very short period of time.

To each their own I know that in four years my dd will be ready for college without me.

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

Yes, and now we know better. We know (most of us) how unsafe it is to leave kids alone. Anything could happen and an 8 or 9 year old child wouldn't know what to do. What if someone broke in the house or there was a fire? They can say the right things all they want but they don't really know what to do. They don't have the wisdom or maturity or expeirence to really know how to handle dangerous situations. 

Quoting SweetPea2004: Children have been left alone for centuries and a hundred or so years ago 8 year olds worked in factories.

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

If you are leaving your 8 and 9 year olds home alone for an hour, you are either fucking stupid or you have failed as a parent. Which one is it?

Quoting Anonymous 20:

If your 8 year old or 9 year old can not stay home alone for an hour they are either fucking stupid or you have failed as a parent. Which one is it?

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

There is nothing wrong with my kids except for the fact that they are kids. 

Quoting Anonymous 20: Unless there is something wrong with your kid that is far from true

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

8 and 9 is too young to come home alone and be alone that long. Sorry. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 38 on Aug. 14, 2017 at 9:37 AM
We are not all perfect like you some people. Ant have time off.
Don't be such a bitch.

At least she is doing her best
What a $&@&) comment

Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 6:55 PM

you would never have survived the 70's & 80's!  lol

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

Yes I have taught my children to be safe and self-sufficient. Just like I have taught my 5 year old. But guess what? I don't let my 5 year old stay home either, let alone babysit. In a couple of years, my 9 year old will be ready. My 11 year old stepdaughter comes home by herself sometimes. She also comes home to 6 fiercely protective dogs. She handles being alone just fine. My 9 year old is very responsible and intelligent. She is in the gifted program at school. Both girls can cook full meals by themselves. I still don't let the 9 year old stay by herself because she is still a child. Yes, she knows that if she sees a fire, she should call 911 and get out of the house but that doesn't mean that she will remember when she is trapped by flames. She knows that, if someone breaks into the house, call 911 and lock herself in our bedroom but that doesn't mean that she will be able to handle it if she was really in that situation. Kids are kids no matter how well you teach them. 

Quoting Saphira1207:

If you haven't bothered to teach your kids how to be safe and self-sufficient by 8/9 years old then you have failed as a parent in more ways than one.

the only kids who shouldn't be left alone at that point are the ones who are sheltered beyond reason (like yours are apparently) or disabled/handicapped/special needs.

But a normal, well adjusted, well taught child at that age should be able to be alone for an hour unsupervised without problems.

Don't take your insecurity as a parent out on us.

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

If you are leaving your 8 and 9 year olds home alone for an hour, you are either fucking stupid or you have failed as a parent. Which one is it?

Quoting Anonymous 20:

If your 8 year old or 9 year old can not stay home alone for an hour they are either fucking stupid or you have failed as a parent. Which one is it?

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

There is nothing wrong with my kids except for the fact that they are kids. 

Quoting Anonymous 20: Unless there is something wrong with your kid that is far from true
Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

8 and 9 is too young to come home alone and be alone that long. Sorry. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)