Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adopting through fostercare

Posted by   + Show Post

If you adopted through fostercare, what was the homestudy like? How long did the entore process take? I'm in IL, and this is something my husband and I are persuing after our house is fully remodeled. 

by on Aug. 13, 2017 at 3:45 AM
Replies (61-69):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 3:14 AM

In my state there are caseworker who are given financial incentives to return the kids to their homes.  Yeah, that sounds all fine and wonderful, except in my friends case, the child had mental health problems that led her to be in the sytem to begin with and by returning her to the home, she put the rest of the family in danger. The parents BEGGED DCFS for help in getting the mental health assistance, but they declined and just threw the kid back with the parents.  The kid eventually ended up in the foster system again, but no one would make the kid take medication and is now living on the street as she aged out. 

Had DCFS got the kid the mental health help she needed to begin with,  things may have turned out differently. Maybe not.  But we'll never know and everyone is suffering.  

RocknRoll.Rose
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 3:18 AM

The social worker walked through the house and complained about everything. Apparently the house the child had lived in safely for 4 years was suddenly a death trap, lol. 

SaskMummy
by Mandy on Aug. 20, 2017 at 3:22 AM
Oh sweetie no no no.. cps doesn't want to year families apart they want to get the help they need so they can be as solid as possible. Maybe years ago this was in fact the case but no they do not want to just take kids.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I was a foster kid and it pisses me off that people go into being foster parents with the intent of adopting kids who are often snatched from their parents for poor reasons. so tired of people looking for a cheap way to snatch other people's babies.

social workers get financial incentives to kidnap children for people like you to steal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 3:30 AM
It's like you can't stop your fingers from typing nonsense. The first police forces in our country were established in the North in the 1800's. The slave patrols in the South were around long before then and were not police.

The US military is responsible for the continued existence of this country. I guess you think Hitler and Japan would have let the US go on it's merry way during WWII. If the US had not had a military Germany probably would have won WWII.

Quoting Quakercaoimhe:

Wew laddie. The foster care system was created to help childrenThe US police force was created to keep slaves from running awayThe US military has since it's inception been a machine of war, not of defenceCan you spot a difference? My complaints about children of colour being overlooked and targeted in US schools is valid, and I've provided evidence to that affect. 

Quoting Anonymous 13: By supporting the foster care system you're supporting abusive foster parents, so you basically are an abusive foster parent!

^^^sounds stupid as hell, doesn't it? That how you sound when ranting about the military, police and public schools.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 8:39 AM
So you are saying that social workers receive financial incentives when children move from foster care to adoption. Could you provide citings for this? I don't see this as a reality although I recognize you are angry given your history.

Quoting Anonymous 19: Of you are in a state that doesn't provide them, that's great. It doesn't change the fact that several states do.

Quoting Anonymous 6: Wow. I worked for CPS for over a decade so should I file a law suit because I never once received a financial incentive! !

Quoting Anonymous 1: I was a foster kid and it pisses me off that people go into being foster parents with the intent of adopting kids who are often snatched from their parents for poor reasons. so tired of people looking for a cheap way to snatch other people's babies.

social workers get financial incentives to kidnap children for people like you to steal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 9:29 AM
The state receives a ( federal ) bonus for every child that is adopted. I should have specified that, I'm sorry. But as a social worker, you are aware of that. I don't know what history you are referring to though.

Quoting Anonymous 6: So you are saying that social workers receive financial incentives when children move from foster care to adoption. Could you provide citings for this? I don't see this as a reality although I recognize you are angry given your history.

Quoting Anonymous 19: Of you are in a state that doesn't provide them, that's great. It doesn't change the fact that several states do.

Quoting Anonymous 6: Wow. I worked for CPS for over a decade so should I file a law suit because I never once received a financial incentive! !

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 9:33 AM
Sorry I confused you with another person who posted.

Quoting Anonymous 19: The state receives a ( federal ) bonus for every child that is adopted. I should have specified that, I'm sorry. But as a social worker, you are aware of that. I don't know what history you are referring to though.

Quoting Anonymous 6: So you are saying that social workers receive financial incentives when children move from foster care to adoption. Could you provide citings for this? I don't see this as a reality although I recognize you are angry given your history.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 9:38 AM
No they really dont

onethentwins
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 12:56 PM

Yes they do. The financial incentive is to get children adopted, not reunified. If a child is young and cute and adoptable it's in real danger of being taken away from it's family and adopted by strangers. It happens all the time, here today.

Adoptions and Safe Families Act of 1997 (H.R. 867)

TITLE II: INCENTIVES FOR PROVIDING PERMANENT FAMILIES FOR CHILDREN

Adoption Incentive Payments. The Secretary of HHS is required to make adoption incentive payments to states in which adoptions of foster children in FY 1998 exceed the average number during FY 1995-FY 1997 or, in FY 1999 and subsequent years, in which adoptions of foster children are higher than in any previous fiscal year after FY 1996.

Adoption incentive payments are $4,000 for each adoption of a foster child above the base number, plus an additional $2,000 for a total of $6,000 per special needs adoption. For these incentive payments, $20 million is authorized for each of FYs 1999-2003

http://www.naswdc.org/archives/advocacy/updates/1997/safeadop.htm

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/02/05/legal-child-abduction.aspx

How this Law Actually has Increased Child Abuse Reports

What happened in San Diego is not an anomaly, nor is it new. In 1991, the bi-partisan National Commission on Children had already figured out that children were being taken from their families "prematurely or unnecessarily" because federal formulas give states "a strong financial incentive" to do so rather than provide services to keep families together."1

As a result, the federal government and a number of states created legislation that was supposed to keep more families together. But as the National Coalition for Child Protection Reform (NCCPR) reports, those efforts only disrupted more families, and encouraged more adoptions.

Quoting SaskMummy: Oh sweetie no no no.. cps doesn't want to year families apart they want to get the help they need so they can be as solid as possible. Maybe years ago this was in fact the case but no they do not want to just take kids.
Quoting Anonymous 1: I was a foster kid and it pisses me off that people go into being foster parents with the intent of adopting kids who are often snatched from their parents for poor reasons. so tired of people looking for a cheap way to snatch other people's babies. social workers get financial incentives to kidnap children for people like you to steal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)