Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Slave owners....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies
5 moms liked this
I really think it's dangerous to try and forget what happened with slavery and the civil war. And I feel like knocking down statutes is counter productive. You can't get rid of history! We need to learn from history!

This is all about the sins of the white man owning slaves it has been said ....which was a disgusting thing that was common back then! Everywhere around the world for years and years. In fact slavery was a common thing in Africa. And it was Africans who sold their OWN people to America! And the wealthy in America were not just white. There were African American slave owners too! So it was not just limited to that time period and white Americans . America was basically the first to stop it! That's a good thing! That should be celebrated!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 15, 2017 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cocos_Mom
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:00 AM
3 moms liked this
Knocking down statues isn't about forgetting the Civil War, it's about not glorifying enemies of the United States

I know there's some law in the south that counts Confederate generals as military personnel, but that's bullshit.

They were part of a military that fought against our country. They were literally an enemy of the state, they do not deserve to be glorified
Cocos_Mom
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:03 AM
6 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

And America was NOT the first to stop it!

Seriously?!

We don't have statues in our parks of African warlords or slave traders, if we did those would be torn down too.

Your original point in this post was that we shouldn't tear down statues because we need to remember history, have you ever taken world history?

KitschyAF
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Then put up statues of Sojourner Truth, John Brown, and Harriet Beacher Stowe. Confederate statues do not celebrate the abashment of slavery.

mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:05 AM
6 moms liked this
God, I can't stand Confederate apologists.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:06 AM
2 moms liked this
The first slave owner in America was black.

Africans were running into villages capturing their people long before the white man came along. People really need to remember history but sadly many won't, it isn't even taught much anymore.

I don't get why they aren't mad with their own people, yet at work my son has to deal with a boss who treats him like garbage bc he's white and whites are to be blamed. What has my son done to be blamed for slavery? We didn't even have family here during that time. No, I can't wait for this woman to be fired. They are waiting til they have more against her bc she's threatened to sue claiming she was fired bc of her skin color.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I really think it's dangerous to try and forget what happened with slavery and the civil war. And I feel like knocking down statutes is counter productive. You can't get rid of history! We need to learn from history!

This is all about the sins of the white man owning slaves it has been said ....which was a disgusting thing that was common back then! Everywhere around the world for years and years. In fact slavery was a common thing in Africa. And it was Africans who sold their OWN people to America! And the wealthy in America were not just white. There were African American slave owners too! So it was not just limited to that time period and white Americans . America was basically the first to stop it! That's a good thing! That should be celebrated!

thebadkitty
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:08 AM
9 moms liked this

I find it hilarious that people think only white men owned slaves.

Meanwhile, in America we got young girls disappearing to human trafficking (which is also a form of slavery)

LaughCryLive
by Emerald Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this
They statues need to go. No need to glorify traitors to the united states.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:11 AM
3 moms liked this
Not enemies of this country, enemies of the government who wanted to basically get rid of state rights. This country wasn't founded for big government to have control.

Quoting Cocos_Mom: Knocking down statues isn't about forgetting the Civil War, it's about not glorifying enemies of the United States

I know the lock in the south counts Confederate generals as military personnel, but that's bullshit.
They were part of a military that fought against our country. They were literally an enemy of the state, they do not deserve to be glorified

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:13 AM
4 moms liked this
So you would never fight for your rights?

Scary that people want to take them down, government would love that. The more that forget we can stand up to big government the better it is for the government.

Quoting LaughCryLive: They statues need to go. No need to glorify traitors to the united states.

tsatske2
by Latricia on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM
3 moms liked this

England put an end to slavery before the US did. It was pretty much gone from Europe before we had our civil war.

And North American slavery was some of the worst in history, and some of the only to practice generational slavery (if you were born to a slave mother you were a slave at birth) and lifelong slavery with no legally guaranteed way to exit for yourself. Your misconceptions are some of the reasons we must remember history. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)