Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He isn't your meal ticket any more

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 566 Replies
1 mom liked this
I moved in with my boyfriend over the summer. He has 3 kids with his ex-wife. They live in another state but they were here all summer. They just went back to their mom's last weekend. She isn't dealing well with the fact that he now has a whole other household to support so he can't send her extra money every single time she asks. He already pays her over a grand in child support every month. He also bout them all new clothes for school before they went home.

She is used to asking him for money whenever and he used to just give her whatever she wanted. He has paid her car payment repeatedly, sent her money to help cover her classes, paid her electric bill, etc. Etc. He was staying in his buddy's garage apartment rent free before we moved in together and his truck is paid off so he had very little in the way of bills. We now have rent to pay for and bills and a household full of groceries to buy. He can't afford to just send her random money all the time because she won't hold down a job and wants to go to school.

She called last night wanting money to pay for background checks because she's starting a new program at school that requires them and they cost $60 which she doesn't have. She also wanted money to buy school supplies and get their oldest socks, underwear and bras. She got pissed when he told her he didn't think we can swing any more this month and that before he agreed to anything he and I need to sit down and see if it's in the budget. She flipped out and accused me of alienating him from his "family" and told him if he can't afford his kids he needs to move back in to his garage and go back to the way things were.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 16, 2017 at 7:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 16, 2017 at 7:38 AM
8 moms liked this
I think his kids come first over yours. Since you are not married you should split groceries and costs of all bills fairly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 16, 2017 at 7:39 AM
4 moms liked this
Sounds like custody should be reversed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2017 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
We are both paying for everything but when we moved in together he took on more bills than he was paying before.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I think his kids come first over yours. Since you are not married you should split groceries and costs of all bills fairly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 16, 2017 at 7:39 AM
4 moms liked this
He should always support his kids. She should take him to court for more support. She shouldn't have to beg him for money.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2017 at 7:40 AM
7 moms liked this
He already pays over a grand in child support a month. She should be working to help support her own children. Not relying on her ex for every little thing.

Quoting Anonymous 4: He should always support his kids. She should take him to court for more support. She shouldn't have to beg him for money.
grannie_kel
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 7:40 AM
24 moms liked this
He has a whole other household to support? You are a GF, not a wife. He is obligated to provide for his children, he owes nothing to yours. Can you not support yourself and your kids?
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Aug. 16, 2017 at 7:41 AM
4 moms liked this
What other family is he supporting? You're just a girlfriend so aren't you supporting yourself?
AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Aug. 16, 2017 at 7:41 AM

Good luck with this relationship.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2017 at 7:41 AM
3 moms liked this
He is obligated to HELP support our home. He lives in it. He is obligated to pay part of the bills.

Quoting grannie_kel: He has a whole other household to support? You are a GF, not a wife. He is obligated to provide for his children, he owes nothing to yours. Can you not support yourself and your kids?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 16, 2017 at 7:42 AM
We live together. I pay some of the bills. So does he. When we moved in together we combined our finances.

Quoting Dzyre1115: What other family is he supporting? You're just a girlfriend so aren't you supporting yourself?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)