Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are college degrees for women a waste?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies
Especially for women who know that they want to get married and stay at home with their children and never work again? And they have a lot of debt
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2017 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bubbs0809
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this
No, education is never a waste.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 17, 2017 at 1:36 PM
For women that you described, yes. Nothing worst than $30000 in debt but you plan to stop working and expect your husband to pay it off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 17, 2017 at 1:37 PM
No. Everyone should have a back up plan becuase you just never know. That said, if they never work after their degree is pretty useless and not much of a back up plan at that point.
redbottoms
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 1:37 PM
I don't have any student debt because I had some scholarships and my parents paid for me to live and for school. So that is not a factor. When I entered college I was not yet married and at the time I did want to have a career. But about 2/3 the way through I kinda changed my mind and realized I probably just one day wanted to be a SAHM. But I went ahead and finished since I was already so close. Its nice to have that degree as a back up in case one day I do need to get a job.

Women can change their minds. Sometimes circumstances change.

I am glad I have a degree even though I barely used it.
Spam72
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 1:38 PM
As long as they get an amazing prenup and great life/disability insurance it's fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 17, 2017 at 1:38 PM

unless she is able to predict a financially, physically, and emotionally stable marital  future with absolute 100% certainty, skipping college, higher education, and career and financial independence is not something I would recommend.

beYOUtywithin_
by Tiffany on Aug. 17, 2017 at 1:38 PM

Quoting bubbs0809: No, education is never a waste.
lulualoha
by on Aug. 17, 2017 at 1:39 PM

No, all women should have the ability to support themselves.  I tell my girls, finish high school, get a degree, buy a house, and then you can start thinking about getting married.

My girls will not need student loans for a BA or BS

ThatDancerGirl
by ResidentTrollđź’† on Aug. 17, 2017 at 1:39 PM
Education is never a waste. Everyone, regardless of gender, should have the ability to support themselves. Even people who don't plan to work should have a degree in order to have something to fall back on should they need it.
sarahfire
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 1:39 PM

No

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)