Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I wont be renewing the contract to watch her kids and she is freaking out

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 60 Replies

I have a mother who is just such a pain to work with. I watch  2 of her kids 5 days a week. She likes to drop off early, pick them up late, and "forget" to bring stuff she is supposed to. I charge her fees for everything and she has no problem paying but the money isnt worth the headache. I would rather someone who just does everything at the right time. 

When I have a new client I start with a 6 month contract. Two weeks before the contract ends we can discuss continuing care or not. Well I already knew I wasnt going to keep going with her. I have no interest in dealing with her. I sent her an official letter saying that 2 weeks from that date would be the last day I would provide her with child care. I do an official letter so that there is documented proof of when it was sent and when she received it. 

Well she was pissed after she got the letter. She called me pretty much yelling. Saying that 2 weeks is not enough time to find other care and blah blah blah. She said I cant just change my mind last minute. The next time she came in I showed her the contract (which she of course signed which makes it legally binding) and where it talks about this exact policy. I also always explain it very clearly to any new parents so that there is 0 confusion. 

Either she didnt listen or didnt care. 

Now she is threatening to not bring her kids in. I told her if she felt that was what is best that is fine but she is still required to pay for the next two weeks. She said she wouldnt give me one penny. 

It makes 0 sense for her to say she cant find care and then also say she wont bring them in. If she doesnt pay tomorrow I can terminate the contract right then and there so I kinda hope she just doesnt and I can be free of her tomorrow. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2017 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Aug. 17, 2017 at 5:18 PM
12 moms liked this

you couldn't pay me enough money to watch other people's kids. hell, some days i barely tolerate my own.

3gr8tKids
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 5:18 PM
So would you take her to small claims OR just wash your hands of the situation altogether?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 17, 2017 at 6:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I would just be done with the whole thing. It wouldnt be worth the hassle 

Quoting 3gr8tKids: So would you take her to small claims OR just wash your hands of the situation altogether?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:26 AM
She sounds ridiculous, but I do agree with her that two weeks isn't very much time to find new child care.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:28 AM

I am so glad my daycare is just not run like the ones I read about on here.  I actually work with my parents and will take a child early or keep them late with *GASP* ZERO additional fees and in the winter I have even kept kids overnight due to it being unsafe for them to get to me to get their child.  I don't advertise and I always have a waiting list and now I can see why. 

Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:30 AM
6 moms liked this
You have a waiting list because you have a reputation for being a pushover. Don't fault OP because she doesn't like being taken advantage of like you do.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I am so glad my daycare is just not run like the ones I read about on here.  I actually work with my parents and will take a child early or keep them late with *GASP* ZERO additional fees and in the winter I have even kept kids overnight due to it being unsafe for them to get to me to get their child.  I don't advertise and I always have a waiting list and now I can see why. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
So you are awesome because you provide free seevices to people who take advantage of you?

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:36 AM

I am not a pushover, I work with my parents.  I don't have kids come early or stay late all the time but I certainly will if needed because shit happens.  I will fault OP I positively run my daycare opposite of her because of daycares like hers.  People like her is exactly why I stopped working and decided to open my daycare.  Where it was all about the children, not looking to nickel and dime every single parent and treat these children as family.  They have been included into my family.  I am still in touch with my many of my original kids and have been invited to graduations, birthdays, you name it.  

Quoting Miller0305: You have a waiting list because you have a reputation for being a pushover. Don't fault OP because she doesn't like being taken advantage of like you do.
Quoting Anonymous 3:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:39 AM

I have a life outside of childcare... if I didn't set boundries & take a few days off here & there I would have burned out years ago. In the beginning I ran like you, but I learned that it can bite you in the A** if a friendship and the caring too much all of a sudden sours because of a misunderstanding; I now set boundries. My contracts also have an end date, because the children "move" out of my home by a certain age. 

dQuoting Anonymous 3:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Why is taking advantage because I choose to offer to help parents out when they get stuck in traffic, stuck in a meeting, with a patient and I choose not to nickel and dime them for an occasional 10 or 15mins?  Instead it is about the kids and all the children that are now part of our family.  My original kids I am still in touch with, have been invited to all their high school graduations and milestones.  They all have a piece of my heart to this day and still have very fond memories of the years they spent with me. 

Quoting Anonymous 4: So you are awesome because you provide free seevices to people who take advantage of you?
Quoting Anonymous 3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)