Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Home Visit *UPDATE*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 177 Replies

My son's middle school called me today. Said they got a new principal and he is going around doing home visits to meet families and asked if they could come by next Monday afternoon. Found it a little odd as my son is in 8th grade. He's been at the school 2 years already and this will be his last year moving on to high school next year. Never had school request this before. But thought it was interesting so I agreed.

My mom is freaking out and telling me not to do it. It's just inviting trouble. I am not quite understanding her logic. But my mom has always been a very paranoid person her whole life. So I'm not surprised about her reaction. But she won't let it go. She keeps telling me I am stupid and the school has no business in our home and they are looking for something.

Anybody else agree with my mom or is she crazy? Would you agree to this type of visit? I honestly don't see the big deal. Sounds like a simple meet and greet.

Update-For those that are interested in an update......So it wasn't principal who came. It was the assistant principal. There is a different one for each grade level. This one is new to school this year and he wanted to reach out to all 8th graders and meet their families. He barely stepped in the door. Handed us a bag of cookies and introduced himself. Asked us if we had any questions or wanted to know if there was any issues we were having with the school, ect. We chit chatted for a few minutes and then he was on his way. He never even sat down. Was in and out within 5 minutes. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 17, 2017 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 17, 2017 at 6:46 PM
I would not agree to it at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 17, 2017 at 6:47 PM
My kids school does home visits. It's really not a big deal
Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 6:52 PM

It's weird but it wouldn't bother me.  I think it's great he's taking an interest in who his students are as real people.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 17, 2017 at 6:53 PM
That is weird af. I wouldn't have agreed.
redbottoms
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 6:53 PM
It's a little busy body for me. My friend works at head start and they do them
Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Aug. 17, 2017 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't be okay with that
NutraNut17
by Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 6:55 PM
4 moms liked this

Have the meet & greet on the porch or some other neutral place.

They are mandated reporters so if they see something they even suspect could be bad they have to report it to CPS and/or the cops.

No, I don't trust them any more than your mom does.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 17, 2017 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I never done one before. My son has been in this district since kindergarten and never once had any principal or teacher request a home visit. I have heard of it being done before tho. I really don't see the big deal tho either. Sounds like a simple meet and greet. Not like they are going to be going room to room inspecting your home lol. 

Quoting Anonymous 3: My kids school does home visits. It's really not a big deal

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 17, 2017 at 6:56 PM
4 moms liked this
So not necessary. It would annoy me highly.
kewimom
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 6:57 PM

I don't see any reason for a school to do an home visit.  If there is something to investigate turn it over to the proper agencies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)