Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coworker angry with me. What do you think? (sorry, it got long)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 157 Replies

Excise police have been conducting stings in our general area.  One of our stores (next town over) got hit 2 weeks ago, store got a fine, employee fired and will be facing charges because she sold not only cigarettes to a minor, she allowed him to purchase a 6pk of beer.  

Our store manager has put the word out we are to card anyone that doesn't look 50 just to cover our butts.  State law says to card anyone that doesn't look 40 and everyone 27 or younger must be carded every time, no matter if you just sold to them an hour prior or even if you know them personally.  You are to physically see their PICTURE ID, check expiration date, for any damage to it (makes it invalid if damaged or expired) and key in their birthday.  

I am lead cashier/customer service.  I am a step below a shift manager.  I am acting manager when a shift or front end manager is not available (lunch, meetings, phone call.)  

I went to give an associate her break and as I walked up, I heard her say "Do you have your ID?  He said no, it's in the car.  At this point, she is supposed to cancel the transaction and inform him she needs him to go get it and when he has it, she can sell him the cigarettes. Instead, she says "When's your birthday *Joe*?"  He said xx/xx/1994 and she keyed it in.  I stepped in and said "No.  You cannot do that.  I am denying the sale.  He doesn't look 40, and by his birthday, he is only 23.  You have to see his ID, not ask him his birthday when he didn't have it.  I am sorry, sir, but she can't sell you those cigarettes."  I reached over and voided the transaction.  She tried to argue with me that she knows him but I told her she was trained on the law and our store polcy is carding everyone 50 or younger.  

I apologized to the customer and told him if he came back with a valid picture ID, we could sell him the cigarettes, but until then, the answer is no.  He wasn't very happy, but he left without too much fuss.

I then took the time to remind her again of the state law and store policy.  This is my job as lead cashier.  Continuous training of front end associates (cashiers and carry outs).  It is my responsibility as acting manager at the time to ensure we follow policy and the law.  

Associate wasn't happy with me and complained to the shift manager when the shift manager came back from lunch.  Shift manager asked for my side, I told her, she went back to the associate and informed her I was completely right.  Associate still wasn't happy and continued to complain the rest of her shift, ignoring me whenever I would speak to her and calling the shift manager instead of me when she needed help (void, override, price check.)  Our front end manager finally caught on by hearing her pages for shift manager instead of me so she came out of her office to see why she was calling for the shift manager instead of me, thinking maybe we were extremely busy and I was on a register all the time instead of being able to man the customer service desk and assist the front end.  

Shift manager explained the situation.  She was NOT going to escalate the situation of the associate not carding to the front end manager since we had both counseled her on carding but since associate wanted to pout, front end manager now knew.  Front end manager pulled her file intending to give her a verbal warning, but found that she had a verbal warning (they're put in writing so there is a record of chain of events) AND a written warning on not carding by the former front end manager.  Our former front end manager was very lax (the reason SHE was fired) so if the associate already had 2 warnings in her file, that means she has been told NUMEROUS times.   

So now the associate is on written warning #2.  She is now on probation which means her hours are cut for 30 days and any screw up could get her fired.  After her probation time, a 3rd write up will mean termination.

Associate is blaming me that she is on the edge of being fired.  She says that every single time I screw up or make any mistake, she is going to be there to report me.  She says she is going to make her mission to see me fired before she is.  She said this to several others, within my hearing.  She doesn't realize that all I would have to do is report her to front end manager for her threats and she would be fired.  I don't intend to because I do not want to see anyone lose their job, but at the same time, if she thinks she is going to bully me or use her threats as leverage, she is mistaken.  

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:29 AM
3 moms liked this
Carding people that are 40 or 50 years old is ridiculous. I feel sorry for you that you have to work in a job like that. Hopefully your employee will quit soon. Sounds like she's just about had enough.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I have to leave for work soon (I hate mid-shifts!) so I am not ignoring people, just getting ready and leaving soon.

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:30 AM
7 moms liked this

All this drama over a convenience store job?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:31 AM
5 moms liked this
Personally I would report her ass. She wants to run her mouth like a big girl she can deal with the consequences.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:33 AM
8 moms liked this

I would still inform them of what is going on so that way if she tries to set you up they know what is going on.

quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:33 AM

its because of under 18s getting stuff..its stupid but some people are 16 and look 30..

Quoting Anonymous 2: Carding people that are 40 or 50 years old is ridiculous. I feel sorry for you that you have to work in a job like that. Hopefully your employee will quit soon. Sounds like she's just about had enough.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this

I have to agree with you about the carding, but it is the "law" and we have stickers on every register announcing "Under 40?  Have your ID ready"

Quoting Anonymous 2: Carding people that are 40 or 50 years old is ridiculous. I feel sorry for you that you have to work in a job like that. Hopefully your employee will quit soon. Sounds like she's just about had enough.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:35 AM
Lord I love watching when people making $9 an hour get a tiny bit of power. It's damn hilarious.
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

i'd report her... she only has herself to blame. at some gas stations where i live they actually have to scan your ID so if you dont havei t on you even if you are 60 no sale...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:37 AM
31 moms liked this

First, not a convenience store, but a grocery store, and 2nd, I know, every job that is not a CEO is beneath you but some of us live in the real world and work these jobs so that assholes like you can get their groceries, their gas, their fast food.  

Quoting corticosteroid:

All this drama over a convenience store job?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)