Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you get another vehicle or suck it up and hope for the best

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
Dh and I have two vehicles yes both are a need. Dh drives over an hour to work and i have to take the kids to school. There isn't any bussing and it is a 25 minute
drive from our house. one i paid off the other isn't.

For the past week the one that is paid off hasn't been wanting to start. I am so scared that one day I am going to get up and it not start. It is very old 220k miles on it so it is on it last legs at this point. We have already replaced the engine, transmission, water pump and starter. The a.c. has stop working completely. It is just old.

So I was talking to dh today about possibly getting another vehicle. The only issue is we will have another car note. There is no way we could pay cash and I don't see us being able too any time soon. The plan was to wait for 3 yrs until we got the other one paid off but I don't think it will last even another yr much less 3 yrs.

But we paid $300 a month now I don't know if we can afford $600 A month for 2. I might be able to swing it but I am not sure. Plus my car insurance will go up. right now I have full coverage on one and liability on the other. If we get another one will will have to have full coverage on both and we currently already pay over $300 A month now ( don't ask)..

What would you do? I know eventually it will have to be replaced.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:21 PM
Bump
Damn_Pixi
by Morgie on Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:24 PM

fucking replace it right god damn now >.<

LOL sorry, I'm a little bitter atm.... and driving my mom's car because mine did finally die. We had one car, so now I'm having to have a family member drive me to town to go car shopping. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:26 PM
I would have replaced the old instead of putting in a new transmission and engine in it. Sell it to the junk yard for whatever you can, use that money for a down payment and make it work somehow.
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:26 PM

Replace the battery. It's about 100 dollars. If that doesn't fix the issue then readdress.

Why are you paying so much on insurance?

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:28 PM
I'd get a new car. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:28 PM
The engine was 5 yrs ago the transmission was 2 yrs ago

Quoting Anonymous 2: I would have replaced the old instead of putting in a new transmission and engine in it. Sell it to the junk yard for whatever you can, use that money for a down payment and make it work somehow.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:29 PM
The battery was replaced about 6 months ago around the same time as the water pump. The insurance is very long story

Quoting krisnkids:

Replace the battery. It's about 100 dollars. If that doesn't fix the issue then readdress.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:31 PM
This is my Advice. When my car didn't want to start it was only the battery. It cost me 80 bucks at Walmart with a 3 year warrenty.

Quoting krisnkids:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:32 PM
We get rid of cars as soon as shit starts falling apart. I'd get a new or newer vehicle and probably look into refinancing the other one if it proves beneficial in the long run.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:32 PM
Still have it checked, I've gotten a bad battery before.

Quoting Anonymous 1: The battery was replaced about 6 months ago around the same time as the water pump. The insurance is very long story

Quoting krisnkids:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)