Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know how to eat healthy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
Everything has kinda gone to shit. Anyways, I'm fat, my kids are fat... and I've been trying to eat healthy but it's a struggle. I feel like others are constantly looking down on me bc of it. My oldest is kinda stuck in his ways- he hates most veggies and likes to snack. His 'real' meals are fast food.

My youngest is better. She'll eat almost everything. We got a bag of those baby peppers and she's munched on half the bag in less than 2 days. But she hates playing- going to the park, running around, etc.

This morning, we had 2 eggo waffles and a bowl of strawberries and blueberries, each. Is that bad? It's better than the captain crunch cereal and that's it.

I have no idea what we'll have for lunch or dinner.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 20, 2017 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
charleston843
by Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, you DO know how to eat healthy. You are perfectly capable of choosing food that benefits your body rather than destroys it. If you need guidance, you have books and internet access that teaches you which foods are better for you. As for your children, YOU are the one in charge. Limit thier options to meals that are good for them. If they choose not to partake, let them be hungry until they catch on that you will not cater to thier whims. Thier health (as well as yours) is in your hands. I understand that the battle takes place in the mind, but your mind is not forcing you to eat a bag of Doritos. Your desire leads you there. Excersise the wisdom that is inside of you. You are not helpless. Stop believing that lie. If you had no choice but to starve or eat asparagus, I'm certain you would choose the asparagus. Do not buy unhealthy food. You are only making it harder on yourself. And dont let your kids make the decision. They are too young to understand that their food choices are slowly taking years off thier lives. They don't know, but YOU do. You are capable, momma. You can do this.  (((HUGS)))

SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 12:08 PM
Get rid of the crap and replace it with whole food. Hungry people will eat what's available to them.

A lot of people claim to hate veggies due to them being bland and mushy but veggies shouldn't be cooked to the brink of death. Lol They should still have crunch and use plenty of seasoning.

Salads are a healthy way to get a lot of veggies in at once. Make your own dressings.

And no, waffles aren't healthy. Since you are all overweight, it's best to stay away from heavy carbs like bread, waffles, etc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 12:11 PM

who the hell got a kid into eating fast food for his 'real meal'????

PARENT FAIL

Oliviasmom72
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 12:13 PM
Stop buying junk. There are whole grain waffles. Buy low.cal syrup. Everything you are eating There's a healthier version.

Tell the oldest no more junk and he will be eating healthier or he can go hungry. Buy Greek yogurt. Berries. Veggies. While grain bread. Pretzels. Enroll him in a sport. Limit the tv and games to an hour a day. No more soda. I love the zero cal sparkling ice. My kids love it too my fave is orange mango.

You need to get Active and drink lots of water. Start walking.

It's a process. Good luck.
Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Talk to your doctor and get a referral to a Dietician.  The people on here are "arm chair" nutritionists and won't be able to really help you like a professional will.

More than likely your insurance will cover the cost if you call them and ask.

charleston843
by Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 12:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Hey, be kind. We have no idea what she is dealing with. She might have been on survival mode and simply trying her best to get through the days. And we all know kids can be dictators at times. She is not a failure. She is working on it. Give her the grace to learn and to navigate this.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

PARENT FAIL

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 12:17 PM

There are approximately one billion websites on healthy eating.  I would suggest Googling the phrase "healthy eating".

Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Aug. 20, 2017 at 12:17 PM

There's a ton of healthy recipes out there. Come on now... there's a ton of free resources out there. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 12:17 PM

is someone holding a gun to her head forcing her to buy crap 'food'?? 

i didn't think so

Quoting charleston843:

Hey, be kind. We have no idea what she is dealing with. She might have been on survival mode and simply trying her best to get through the days. And we all know kids can be dictators at times. She is not a failure. She is working on it. Give her the grace to learn and to navigate this.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

PARENT FAIL

charleston843
by Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, but life isn't always black and white. I used to get dismayed at how much my little cousin overate. She was morbidly obese and only in middle school. She would eat bowls and bowls of ice cream and junk food. A few years later, we learned that my uncle had been raping her for ten years and posting the videos online. She felt she couldn't tell anyone, and she turned to food for comfort. And it wasn't health-food that she craved. It was sweets. 'Knowledge' told me she was making bad choices, but 'understanding' (which came later) filled me with compassion for her broken heart. Her ice cream was a way of findng some sort of comfort in the midst of an ongoing tragedy. We never know, therefore we must measure our judgments with the knowledge that we usually lack true understanding.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

is someone holding a gun to her head forcing her to buy crap 'food'?? 

i didn't think so

Quoting charleston843:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

PARENT FAIL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)