Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Robert E. Lee High School

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 205 Replies

I have two children that will attend Robert E. Lee High School in a couple of years.

They used to have the Confederate flag at part of their uniforms and flew them at events.  (Then they were told they could no longer use those and the uniforms were changed and flags were removed.  (They used to play DIxie as one of the school songs it was pulled and replaced.)  In our area you have third and fourth generations attending this school they are proud of their alma mater.  Their mascot is the "Volunteers".  

There has been a movement by who I don't know to change the name of the school.  It is causing protest by past students and current students. 

We just moved into the area 15 years ago before even having kids.  (All the schools in the area are named after great military leaders...even foreign ones).  Lee was asked to lead the Union army by Lincoln, but being from Virginia turned down his offer as not being able to fight his own statesmen.  He was a great military leader who was on the wrong/losing side.

Should the name be changed?  

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 20, 2017 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 2:17 PM

Honestly if asked I would not sign a petition to change the name of the school.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 2:17 PM
Yes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
No, not unless the majority of current students, parents, and faculty want it changed.

I would not vote to change it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 2:20 PM
No, it should stay the same.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 2:20 PM
13 moms liked this

Me personally, yes all public schools, public buildings, anything "public" should not be emblazoned with the names of traitors who fought a war against the USA and lost.  Lee renounced his citizenship when he made that choice, he chose to fight against "our most sacred Union", and lost.   There is no reason that people who participated/led a treasonous rebellion against our nation should be held in such places of honor and esteem.

The Confederate battle flag, a flag that was flown on battlefields in war AGAINST the United States of America only has a place in Museums, and civil war cemeteries. It was the battle flag of a failed want to be nation state that rebelled against the USA and lost. The people who flew this flag were no longer citizens of the USA and killed USA citizens on it's soil. There is no reason it should be honored by the public (the government, tax dollars, etc).

What foreign military leaders who waged war against the USA and lost are schools in your area named after?

Much like the statue issue, if the public of an area votes to change it. It should be changed. I would vote for it to be changed if I still lived in such an area.

HOT4TCHR
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 2:21 PM

I would be proud to send my kids to a school which voted to change the name.

When was the decision made to name the school after Lee in the first place?

Don't text while driving.

---Janice---

lilblu399
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 2:21 PM

Do people really care about school names that much? 

Espically former students? They didn't do much after HS?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 2:23 PM
7 moms liked this
We turned on England.

Quoting Anonymous 6:

Me personally, yes all public schools, public buildings, anything "public" should not be emblazoned with the names of traitors who fought a war against the USA and lost.  Lee renounced his citizenship when he made that choice, he chose to fight against "our most sacred Union", and lost.   There is no reason that people who participated/led a treasonous rebellion against our nation should be held in such places of honor and esteem.

The Confederate battle flag, a flag that was flown on battlefields in war AGAINST the United States of America only has a place in Museums, and civil war cemeteries. It was the battle flag of a failed want to be nation state that rebelled against the USA and lost. The people who flew this flag were no longer citizens of the USA and killed USA citizens on it's soil. There is no reason it should be honored by the public (the government, tax dollars, etc).

What foreign military leaders who waged war against the USA and lost are schools in your area named after?

Much like the statue issue, if the public of an area votes to change it. It should be changed. I would vote for it to be changed if I still lived in such an area.

onethentwins
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't want my kids to got to a HS named after Lee any more than I'd like my kids to go to a HS named after Rommel. Yes change it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 20, 2017 at 2:24 PM
19 moms liked this
No, but then I think this whole movement is ridiculous.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)