Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long will you support your kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies

We must be doing something wrong.

Our 24-year old still lives at home, as does our 19-year old.

They both go to college and have jobs.  We do not charge them rent.

So, we're just taking it day by day, month by month, year by year.  We have no plans to kick them out but figure they'll move on when they are ready and able. But still, I never expected this.

How long will you support your kids?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2017 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 21, 2017 at 1:15 AM
As long as they're full time students and actually progressing in a meaningful way. After that, I suppose until they've had a reasonable amount of time to establish a good footing, a job and a decent amount of savings to get started.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 21, 2017 at 1:21 AM

Why is your 24 yo still at home? That can't be helping his/her dating life. Encourage them to make their own lives now. 

Raising children to be independent is one of the main objectives of parenting. You may not always be here to support them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 21, 2017 at 1:23 AM
What is the 24 year old studying to still be in college?

At least they aren't in your basement playing games. They are being productive. I'd help them as long as they are in school. Once they finish, they're out.
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 1:26 AM
According to my son he's living with me till I die in my basement/attic. My new house has neither lol. I'm not sure. My husband grew up that during hs his parents didn't do much and he supported himself. He moved out after he graduated. They dropped my sil off at college with $20 and told good luck. Expect for a few months before my husband joined the military and when my husband got out neither one of them have moved back to their parents house. When my husband stayed with them after the military it was long enough to find a job and a place for us to live. I think it was 2 months if that. I always have a place with my parents. I'm staying with my dad as we finish building my house. It was supposed to be three months tops and now almost 6 months later it's almost done. I pay rent and everything at my dads house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 21, 2017 at 1:27 AM
Until they graduate high school and give them the summer to get moved out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 21, 2017 at 1:27 AM
As long as they are in school they can live here rent free. If they do not go to college after high school they have to have a job and they start paying rent. Not an obscene amount...like maybe $200/month. They don't know this but DH and I already discussed that the rent money would be put in an account and when they move out we will give it back to them to help them get started.
MissAndree
by Nosuchthing on Aug. 21, 2017 at 1:28 AM
Throughout college.
EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Aug. 21, 2017 at 1:29 AM

My one and only is 19. We've told him he we won't expect him to be on his own until he turns 21. He is a temp with a specific company that has an 11month on/2 months off agreement. Right now he's on his 2 months off. We won't charge him rent as long as he's working and/or going to school. But he has to be ready to move the day after he turns 21.

Tuesday I am dragging him down to the community college to get him enrolled for at least one class. Yeah yeah I know a 19 yr old should be responisble enough to do it by themselves. However... I am also going to be enrolling in a few classes so we're killing 2 birds with one stone. LOL

ThatDancerGirl
by Emma on Aug. 21, 2017 at 1:29 AM
As long as she's in school, i will support her. Education is important
ThatDancerGirl
by Emma on Aug. 21, 2017 at 1:30 AM
Theyre probably in grad school

Quoting Anonymous 4: What is the 24 year old studying to still be in college?

At least they aren't in your basement playing games. They are being productive. I'd help them as long as they are in school. Once they finish, they're out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)