Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm a snob and lazy 😂

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 145 Replies

According to my sister. We have five kids under nine and I'm pregnant with surprise #6. I'm a SAHM and my husband owns a successful company. He could work less hours (currently 75-80 hours) but chooses not to even though we have competent employees and executives.

Even though I'm a SAHM I'm busy with taking kids to practices, play dates, church things plus during the school year I volunteer once a week at the kids school. Most of these things I take my kids with but it's getting hard now.  Add in doing just daily things (errands, house cleaning etc). So to help me lighten my load I've gotten some help.

We have a monthly cleaning lady who does all the deep cleaning. Now my husband and I decided to hire a weekly helper for one day a week. Mainly would be just watching the kids so I can volunteer without having to trade babysitting with a friend, run errands or just have a moment to myself. 

I posted on my Facebook for recommendations because I know my friends know some great people who are looking for nanny jobs. We don't want to use care.com or anything. My sister posted that I'm snobby and lazy and I should just deal with it because we chose to have a large family. Sorry but nope we have the money and I need it so hush. 

Why do people find it so bad if a SAHM has help?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2017 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notgonnatellya
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 3:35 PM

I don't have any kids at home, I'm a housewife and have a twice-a-weekly cleaning lady.

Tell your sister to worry about her house and you'll worry about yours- by hiring a cleaning lady. :)

Your sister is an idiot.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 21, 2017 at 3:35 PM

Your sister might just be a straight up bitch or worries about you and expresses it wrong. She may be worried about your well being in general. That's a lot of kids! Lol. 

NutraNut17
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 3:40 PM
4 moms liked this

I'b be more concerned with how your husband is deliberately avoiding you and the kids.

does he bother to help out at all around the house?  does he ever do anything with the kids?

Is he cheating?  have a side family? 

from what you describe he's an absent parent and husband.

What's the point of being married if the guy is never around?!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2017 at 4:13 PM
He's not avoiding us at all. He started this company as a hobby 8 years ago and it took off.

He works from home from 5 am-9 am. I say work loosely as he works on the computer/makes calls from 5-7 when we get up. He eats breakfast with us and during the school year helps gets the kids ready/off to school.

He gets home about 7 when we get home from soccer and we eat dinner as a family, he plays with the kids and helps put to bed at 8, we spend time together until 9:30 then he works more until 1130. On weekends he will go to soccer games, church etc but will check emails on his downtime. Every Friday night is a movie night for all of us.

No cheating, he's literally just addicted to work lol.

Quoting NutraNut17:

I'b be more concerned with how your husband is deliberately avoiding you and the kids.

does he bother to help out at all around the house?  does he ever do anything with the kids?

Is he cheating?  have a side family? 

from what you describe he's an absent parent and husband.

What's the point of being married if the guy is never around?!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2017 at 4:15 PM
It is a lot of kids but we love having a big family. I come from a family of five and my husband only has his sister. He's always wanted a large family but I only wanted three. We settled on four then decided eh what the heck and got number 5. Had surgeries scheduled and oops here's 6!

I think she's just being a bitch for the sake of being a bitch, it's her personality.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Your sister might just be a straight up bitch or worries about you and expresses it wrong. She may be worried about your well being in general. That's a lot of kids! Lol. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 21, 2017 at 4:19 PM
4 moms liked this
If you are a SAHM your "job" is to manage the house and take care of the little ones. If you can't handle that without help you should not be volunteering or bringing more babies into the mix. You need better time management skills.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 21, 2017 at 4:22 PM
😂 I do manage the house. I do the daily cleaning, laundry, cook etc. add in play with the kids. Right now its quiet time for about twenty more minutes so I'm on here.

We also go to play dates twice a week, go to the park etc.

We have a cleaning lady because I would rather be playing with my kids or doing something useful instead of scrubbing toilets, window washing etc. We are getting a weekly babysitter so I can go and have a afternoon to run errands, doctor appointment for this pregnancy etc.

If I had a all day nanny and ignored my kids I could see your concern but it's far from that.

Quoting Anonymous 3: If you are a SAHM your "job" is to manage the house and take care of the little ones. If you can't handle that without help you should not be volunteering or bringing more babies into the mix. You need better time management skills.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 21, 2017 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Chores really do not take that much time, and a lot of it you could get done while the little ones are napping and the older ones should have a list of daily chores as well. You also do not need a weekly sitter. Your DH could actually take a few hours off during the week and helps with the litter of kids he helped create.

Quoting Anonymous 1: 😂 I do manage the house. I do the daily cleaning, laundry, cook etc. add in play with the kids. Right now its quiet time for about twenty more minutes so I'm on here.

We also go to play dates twice a week, go to the park etc.

We have a cleaning lady because I would rather be playing with my kids or doing something useful instead of scrubbing toilets, window washing etc. We are getting a weekly babysitter so I can go and have a afternoon to run errands, doctor appointment for this pregnancy etc.

If I had a all day nanny and ignored my kids I could see your concern but it's far from that.

Quoting Anonymous 3: If you are a SAHM your "job" is to manage the house and take care of the little ones. If you can't handle that without help you should not be volunteering or bringing more babies into the mix. You need better time management skills.
LuvHugs429
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think its so bad.  You should get a Nannie a couple of times a month but I would cut down on my Volunteer work or a few things the kids don't HAVE to do.  It's good for you to even get some alone time without the kids. May want a big family but doesn't mean you don't need a little break every once in a while too.  SAHM is a 24/7 job and you don't get to leave it at the end of the day.

Your sister is just jealous of you. Hubby and I (once we get our house renovated) plan on hiring someone to deep cleaning in our house twice a month. Then again we both work and only have 2 kids.

LuvHugs429
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 4:29 PM

How old are your kids? Do you give them chores? Do they help out around the house? My kids are 12 and almost 15 and them doing chores helps out a lot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)